Peanuts!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got my seed box straightened out and I found PEANUTS! I totally forgot I had them, and now I HAVE to try them... but I have no idea where these should go. Raised Bed? Right in the ground? Keep away from root veggies? Mix them in my mixed boxes?

How about some advice? Or should I be the guinea pig? :lol:

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I played with some valencias last year...just because I had some I never got around to boiling or parching. I think you would have better luck in a raised bed. Peanuts need a sandy/light soil and I am thinking you may have clay based? It takes 4-5 months for peanuts depending on the type and I planted the valencias in mid Mayish...peanuts like it hot. Make sure they get plenty of water when blooming. A peg forms after the bloom dies off and works it's way into the soil and 1 peanut forms on each peg. They do take up a bit of space for not a whole lot of yeild, but fun to mess around with. Pretty plants and your chickens will love the tops after you pull your peanuts. :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
From my woefully-unproductive experiences as a child trying to grow peanuts (outside Phila. PA) and my mother's same thing long before me (Lancaster Co., PA) all I can say is that they need a LOOOONG frost-free season, and decent nutrition, and good luck :p

You should be able to do better than we ever did, being in a more peanut-growing type region to begin with.

I can't think why you'd need to keep them away from root crops btw as they *aren't* a root crop, the peanut forms from the flower stem bending over to touch the ground.

OTOH I believe I harvested a grand total of about nine or ten single-nut peanuts in my best year, as a kid, so what do I know :p

Good luck, have fun, take pics and report! :),

Pat

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, if memory serves me right, I think I saw a post on here several months ago on growing peanuts in a pot. Fun project for the kiddies... Gonna go look......

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here it is... this is a quote from HiD, under this thread .

peanuts ..this is fun pretty and productive ..you just put a raw peanut in a small pot to start ..cover it with plastic until it sprouts ..transplant one time into a larger part ...keep moist but not soggy and grow in a sunny spot ..when it is done you pull the plant and have a pot of peanuts! fun if you have kids ...

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, I wondered what those plants were. The- ones- with the- bright- little- yellow- flowers. Oh....peanuts! I just let the Scrub Jays plant them. :lol:

I found they had planted them on top of my stonewall. The wall is about two feet high and it is about three feet wide to the back fence. Good drainage and I feel the soil was not that rich. They used to come up every year and I ignored them. The chickens have destroyed that area.

However, now they do not have access to it. Let the peanuts begin. :pop

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh wow... I only have about 20 peanuts I can plant for this. So we'll see. I'll put them in a small raised bed for fun. :D

Amigatec

Sprout
Reaction score
I got tired of shelling them out, but I roasted some, boiled some, ate some raw, and made peanut butter.:)

Latest posts