Pear Ginger Crumble.....for all those pears

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is an excellent receipe from the Food Network, Ellie Krieger show. For all those pears I didn't know what to do with.

Topping:
1/4 C oat flour or whole wheat flour
2/3 C old fashioned oats
1/2 C packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t salt
1/4 C canola oil (I used less)

Filling:
3 pounds firm but ripe pears, peeled,cored,& cut into 1/4 in slices
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T freshly grated ginger
2 T sugar
1 1/2 T all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

For the topping: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and work together with fork or your fingertips until the ingredients are moistened.

For the fillling: Coimbine the pear slices, lemon juice and ginger in a large bowl. Add the sugar and flour and toss to blend.

Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the pear mixture to the dish. Sprinkle the topping over the pears.Bake crumble until the pears are tender and the topping is a golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes (if you can wait that long) before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature....with a scoop of ice cream if desired.

I have made this several times with Bartlett and Asian pears and always get rave reviews. I have found that I put more pears in the receipe than the 3 pounds. Enjoy.

Anne

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Stupendous!! I'm hosting a family supper tonight and will try this out on them--I even happened to just pick up some fresh ginger at the store the other day. Thank you!

me&thegals

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh my goodness!! It was so delicious! My husband and son--who don't like fresh ginger--couldn't even taste it. My sister in law, who loves it, tasted it and enjoyed it. Go figure :) I love its relative healthiness (oil, low sugar) and it was very, very yummy. I was lazy and didn't even peel the pears, so the whole thing was whipped together in less than 10 min! Anybody who might be on the fence with this one, go for it! In fact, I will take your suggestion in the original post and freeze a couple of these for when pears are no longer in season... Thank you, Anne!

me&thegals

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh, it is my pleasure. I will be making this on Friday for a luncheon. We are eating from the garden with a vegetable pasta dish and the pear crumble for dessert. Think I will buy some ice cream too.

So happy you liked it. And it is a good use for fresh pears. I have been thinking about using this receipe for an apple cobbler....ummmmm

Anne

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Absolutely--it seems like it could work for any generic cobbler--peaches, apple, etc...

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just made this with apples instead of the pears and it is even better. Or perhaps it was the addition of the ice cream.......I did not add the ginger. Now, we can call this pear or apple crumble. I just love dual receipes.

Anne

Latest posts