pears glorious pears

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The house next door has a pear tree that's absolutely loaded this year. It's bank owned and not looking very promising at selling so I was thinking about picking the pears and canning them (my hubby loves loves loves pears). I've read up on ripening them off the tree but I was wondering if anyone here has canned them. Do I need them to get soft like eatting or leave them firm so the don't turn to mush when I'm processing them?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So lucky you are! Go girl!

I would so can them like ducks said!!! :D

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm also eyeballing a loaded peach tree over there. Both trees are so full that they have branches propped up to keep them out of the way of whoever has been mowing for the bank.

My poor fruit trees are only about 4-5 years old so the opportunity get some fruit is always exciting. Besides that I absolutely hate waste.

Now that I've set my sights on this free fruit the bank will probably manage to sell this overpriced mess.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That sounds yummy. Right now hubby and I don't see a problem getting the fruit. When I drive past it everyday I wonder if the tractor bucket up will reach the top so I don't miss out on that fruit too. LOL!

The real estate sales lady doesn't see this house selling anytime soon. They are asking market price for a house that's move in ready and much bigger. This house is a mess It's moldy and most of the buildings on the property are ready to hit the ground.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You'll be doing them a favor keeping rotten fruit from attracting flies this fall. I just bought another pear tree!!!!!!

The Garden Center at one of our local farm stores was closing down and they had all trees 1/2 price. I was a good girl, and repotted it in a ginormous pot IMMEDIATELY after I got it home. It has 6...no, 5 Bartlett pears on it (the 6th one fell off in transit, and I fed it to my hens.) I have until October to figure out where I want to plant it. Right now it's by the tomato garden. It's gonna take my dolly to move it to the cement by the side door steps for the summer--I couldn't lift it after I transplanted it and watered it last night.

I just found out this week that our good friend has mature tart cherry trees. She brought me a big bag (already pitted!!), frozen--time to make some pies!!! :celebrate

Latest posts