Peas crossing?

brahampooter

Sprout
Reaction score
I planted a long row of snowpeas followed by a long row of sugar snaps. They are the worst tasting peas I've ever grown. 1/2 of my sugar snaps are flat like the snow peas and none of them are sweet. I've never planted both at the same time before. Could they have cross pollinated? Should I only plant one variety per year? Can they effect my beans? I have 4 different bean varieties going into bloom at the same time. Will they also cross?

Growing conditions have been perfect this year.

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Where did you get your seeds?

Cross pollination wouldn't be a problem until the next generation, presuming you had seed from a reliable source.

As for the sugar snaps not filling out, I would guess lack of pollination altogether, or a problem with the seeds.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is very possible that some cross pollination occurred but this probably wouldn't affect the taste. The proximity of the plants to one another would be the best indicator of cross pollination. How close are they?

There are many other reasons for bad tasting peas. Have you explored those?

And welcome to the forum.

brahampooter

Sprout
Reaction score
I got my seeds from gurney's. I won't tell you what I think of them this year.

My peas are in a single long row. 1/2 snow and 1/2 snap.

I've always planted one or the other and they've been great!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I doubt they are crossing since most commercial peas are self polliniating. When Mendel did his pea crossing expts way back when, he had to manually remove the male parts and pollinate by hand. Crosses would only effect the second generation peas too and what they produced. My guess is bad seeds/growing season.