Peat Pots

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Newspaper is potentially toxic, peat is nonrenewable, but there are always Cow Pots! ;) Pricey, I know, but totally degradable and nourishing at the same time.

As for peat pots not disintegrating, I've always ripped the rim off to make sure it's totally underground when I plant them (I don't buy them, but sometimes plants come in them), or I rip them off completely, without ruining the rootball integrity. I use a styrofoam planting system I bought from Gardener's Supply many years ago to grow my seedlings. I'm very happy with them.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you all for sharing so much good information, this was an excellent thread!

Now one more question if you will indulge me :)...what should I put in my bunny litter box because it all gets composted! So if I want to minimize the use of newspaper (going into the garden in the form of compost) is there something else that I can buy to line the bottom of her pan? A lot of the products being marketed are paper based, but how do I make the cleanest choice possible? What do I look for in a product?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dace said:
Thank you all for sharing so much good information, this was an excellent thread!

Now one more question if you will indulge me :)...what should I put in my bunny litter box because it all gets composted! So if I want to minimize the use of newspaper (going into the garden in the form of compost) is there something else that I can buy to line the bottom of her pan? A lot of the products being marketed are paper based, but how do I make the cleanest choice possible? What do I look for in a product?
I dont have a bunny any more but when I did I just used pine shavings.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Newspaper is potentially toxic, peat is nonrenewable, but there are always Cow Pots! ;) Pricey, I know, but totally degradable and nourishing at the same time.

As for peat pots not disintegrating, I've always ripped the rim off to make sure it's totally underground when I plant them (I don't buy them, but sometimes plants come in them), or I rip them off completely, without ruining the rootball integrity. I use a styrofoam planting system I bought from Gardener's Supply many years ago to grow my seedlings. I'm very happy with them.
I love the idea of adding the cow manure to the soil and it might be worth the added expense the first few years to just help amend my soil.....

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
Dace said:

I dont have a bunny any more but when I did I just used pine shavings.
Did they compost well? For some reason I am under the impression that pine did not break down well...maybe I am thinking of the needles?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, Dace!

I'm having deja vu here, but I'm going to say it anyway...in for a penny, in for a pound, I guess.....I wouldn't use either pine or cedar shavings with small fuzzies. (Rabbits, rats, mice etc.)

I've never used them because of the phenols. I've read studies which say that pet rabbits wouldn't be affected the same way as lab animals, but I wouldn't chance that with my pet. And many rabbits, rats, etc. do not reach their age potential.

Consistently we have had the longest lived rabbits and rats, when comparing to other people we know, and our 4-H division of rabbits.

I will give you a list of products I've heard of, but never used, that seem good, after telling you what I've always done.

For rabbits, I give them bedding in their cages. Generally bedding straw.

Now, if the tray is under the cage, where the rabbit cannot get to what's in it, alfalfa pellets, the kind people feed, makes a realy good tray filler in that it does help to control odors, and is unbelieveable for the compost pile!

That said, I have a list of products which may, or may not, be as fast as you'd like for the compost pile. They are more crumbly than paper pellets, so are a little messier, but good for bunnies, as far as I know. Mostly they are grain or aspen based pellets. I will private message you the list.

I can't tell you from personal experience about them, but they look okay. I am going to assume the alfalfa is the least costly, but it can't be used in with the bunnies, as they will eat them, just in a tray.

Of course, you can just stuff their cages with bedding straw and put wedges of alfalfa hay in the corner. Mine did great eating the hay, rather than pellets, though I've had rabbits who ate pellets now and then.

Boy, do those hay filled cages smell sweet, and make good compost! :)

What type of bunnies do you have?

Anyway, hope this helps; good luck! :)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use the Jiffy disks to start my plants and usually end up placing these in peat pots with some more soil to allow my seedlings more time to grow in my greenhouse before planting in the garden. I did this with my cucs, toms and okra. I direct sowed my pole beans to start with but had to in-a-hurry start some more after the snail banquet early in the season. I planted these in peat pots in the green house and later just sunk the pots in the ground around my pole bean supports. Worked great. I do tear off the top portion of the pot otherwise I would have to plant the pot too deep or else leave it sticking out, which I think is unsightly. I have had occasion to purchase roses in peat pots and elected to remove the rose from the pot when planting. I have reused these pots several times since, until they got left out in the rain last winter and disintegrated. However, they did offer a benefit of a nursery for earthworms which I was able to add to my new raised garden beds this spring.

Latest posts