Pecan Pie

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 30 yrs. ago, I was at a cafeteria in a government facility in Georgia. They had the best pecan pie I've ever had! The filling was very high/thick, about 2 inches. Since then, I have tried different recipes, had pies at fancy restaurants and nobody makes it like that.

Does anyone have a good pecan pie recipe where the filling is that thick? Pecan pie is my favorite! :)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to be of very limit help, Mary.

It would be wonderful if I could make a nice pecan pie but when I've tried, they've come out a gooey mess :/! Since I'm no good at making a crust, DW contributes a crust for me to mess up! Also, pecans are expensive. I'm happy with walnuts (Washington Nut pie) but . . . I've messed that up too :rolleyes:!

Here's maybe some help: Just the other day I was looking for a pecan pie recipe without corn syrup - thinking that was my problem. Didn't find it. However, I came across this, from Paula Deen. Maybe that cream cheese/nut filling separate from the topping might work.

Mystery Pecan Pie

digitS'

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My husband makes a mean pecan pie and he uses the recipe on the back of the Karo syrup bottle. I use the same one and it is runny inside and his is perfect. I guess it takes the right touch. lol

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have had good luck with Dear Abby's pecan pie recipe, but it may not be thick/deep enough, though.

I mix all the ingredients and then stir in the pecans. Pour into pie crust.

Do not overbake. Pie will be very wobbly when you take it out of the oven but will set up as it cools. If toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, pie is done.

DEAR ABBY'S FAMOUS PECAN PIE
9-inch unbaked pie crust
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 heaping cup pecan halves

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, combine corn syrup, sugar, eggs, butter, salt and vanilla; mix well. Pour into unbaked pie crust; sprinkle with pecan halves.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until center is set. (Toothpick inserted in center will come out clean when pie is done.) Cool. If crust or pie appears to be getting too brown, cover with foil for the remaining baking time.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's the one we make, Mary. Very similar to the one tinychicken posted.

3/4 C + 2 TBS light brown sugar
2 TBS all-purpose flour
1 TBS butter
1 C light corn syrup
3 eggs-beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 C pecans - chopped
1 9 inch pie shell

Combine sugar and flour. Add butter - beat until creamy. Add syrup and eggs - beat until frothy. Add salt and vanilla. Stir in pecans and pour into pie crust. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that I remember, the pecans were not in the filling. They were just on top. Bid and Tiny, are your pecans in the filling? I'm assuming they stay there when baked and not rise to the top.

I wonder if a high/thick filling is a Georgia thing? Perhaps someone from Georgia will chime in. ;)

Mary

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The pecans do indeed rise to the top as the pie is baking. I use the recipe on the Kayro Suryp bottle and chopped pecans. It's not as pretty, but tastes great! Maybe you just need to use a deeper crust and double the recipe?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The pecans are in the filling, Mary. You can also put pecan halves on top of the pie to make it a bit more attractive if you want. Can't say I have ever had one that did not have pecans in the pie filling.

Sounds like they probably did use a deeper pie crust (probably hand made) and a secret recipe jealously guarded. One thing I have noticed is that the recipe, while very important, somehow just does not make up for the experience in preparing something provides. A good pie crust makes a world of difference no matter what the filling may be.

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Mary

Abby's recipe says to place the pecans on the top, but I stir them into the filling. Yes, they are through the filling and not just on the top.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wisher, I've used the karo recipe and the pie came out gooey and soft. Not high at all either.

Bid, I imagine the recipe was secretly guarded since it was at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center! :lol: Your right about experience. I was there for 5 weeks and they had this pie every day. They probably could make it in their sleep. I would have one for dinner and then sneak one out for my 9:00pm snack. But no pecan in the filling, just on top. In fact, I've never had pecan pie with pecans in the filling!

Someone told me that the secret to it being that high was in the eggs. But they didn't elaborate.

Mary

Latest posts