Pecan tree or Mulberry tree for chicken yard

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We bought a mini-farm last fall and currently doing work on the old house, so we haven't moved yet. In the area where we will move our coops to is shaded by a black walnut tree, a silver maple, and a sick grandeflora type magnolia. The trees are actually on the other side of the fence, smack dab against the driveway which isn't a good thing. They need to be taken out, but not until I can get replacement trees planted in the chicken yard. There are black walnut trees in the back yard where we are now...they were supposed to have been pecan trees. They're not. :rolleyes: :/ I'm ready for something different.

Which would grow faster as a young tree, pecan or mulberry?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
With a mulberry, you will probably be getting a little fruit in three or four years. With a pecan, at least a dozen years and probably longer. Mulberries will not get as large, but they will grow faster when young.

Are you aware of the juglone in the Black Walnut? This is a substance they make that stunts or kills many different kinds of plants and trees that grow near them. If you don't know about the juglone, you might want to look it up and read about it when planning what you are planting where. I'm not going to try to list the things they affect from memory, but I do remember tomato plants are in the not good list.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware of juglone. The garden we have had here hasn't been affected adversely and I'd say the trunk of the closest black walnut is 15 ft away. My FIL said the corn and tomatoes at that end of the garden wouldn't grow, but somehow they did quite well.

Regarding a mulberry or pecan tree, my first concern is establishing some shade, future fruit or nut production would just be a bonus. I really need to get the black walnut trees at the future chicken yard site taken out as soon as the new trees start producing some shade because I've had a hen get injured by a falling walnut.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hencackle said:
because I've had a hen get injured by a falling walnut.
did you see this? I just find it amusing to add "getting boinked on the head by a falling nut" another thing to add to the list "what will hurt/kill my chickens".

Here are the pros/cons as I know for the two trees:
Pecan:
PRO: valuable smoker wood. valuable nut crop. high light shade. tolerates occasional flooding. not as high in toxins as black walnut.
CON: slow growth to nuts. weak branching, with tendency to drop major limbs without warning when mature. does secret that toxin stuff. Not much grows under this tree.

Mulberry:
PRO: faster growth, dense shade, lots of berries for you, the birds and all the wildlife. Nice climbing tree if managed suitably. If memory serves, a great pasture tree.
CON: the berries stain everything they land on. Attracts lots of birds, whose poop stains that distinctive color. Thorns?

Hope this helps. Also look at other native trees...basswood, Kentucky Coffe Tree, catalpa...

PS. Remember to protect the root zone of the new trees from the chickens. I'm having to make fence circles around each fruit tree to protect the bases from burrowing chickens.

bantyshanty

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I haven't posted here much, but I have lots of experience with mulberry trees (morus alba) and chickens , none with pecan.
On the "Pro" side for mulberry trees, the chickens will adore the fruit. I'm a Chinese herbalist and, in Chinese herbal medicine, every single part of this tree is useful to treat ailments. The leaf, the bark, the roots, the berries (of course), and even a parasitic vine that grows on the tree (in China) are used in hundreds of formulas. Of course, you can start a silk worm colony with it, too:). The limbs of mulberry are susceptible to fracture from lighting strikes and ice storms. No thorns on the white mulberries that we have.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've heard that some people use mulberry branches as feed for goats and sheep too. I know that my pecan tree sheds a lot of branches whenever there's a high wind (or a low wind, or a calm sunny day...) and my mulberry doesn't, which could be a consideration.

Hencackle

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mulberry:
PRO: faster growth, dense shade, lots of berries for you, the birds and all the wildlife. Nice climbing tree if managed suitably. If memory serves, a great pasture tree.
CON: the berries stain everything they land on. Attracts lots of birds, whose poop stains that distinctive color. Thorns?

Hope this helps. Also look at other native trees...basswood, Kentucky Coffe Tree, catalpa...

PS. Remember to protect the root zone of the new trees from the chickens. I'm having to make fence circles around each fruit tree to protect the bases from burrowing chickens.
Oh yeah, I remember climbing in the mulberry tree that was in my parent's front yard, but that was about 50 years ago. Been a few years. ;)

As for protecting the roots of the shrubs & trees I've planted in my backyard, I use large, flat rocks to cover top of the newly backfilled holes. A few years ago, I redid the foundation plantings around the back deck and laid down deer netting on the ground/pine straw mulch between the shrubs and anchored the netting around the shrubs with rocks. Nothing dug out and no dust bath holes made. And boy, were the chickens might frustrated too. :lol: Dh swore it wasn't going to work, but it did.

i've heard that some people use mulberry branches as feed for goats and sheep too. I know that my pecan tree sheds a lot of branches whenever there's a high wind (or a low wind, or a calm sunny day...) and my mulberry doesn't, which could be a consideration.
Ugh, I'm so glad you mentioned the shedding issue. I've been dealing with that with the black walnut trees, picking up limbs every time I mow. I'm definitely leaning towards getting a mulberry tree. If only the one in my neighbor's field was smaller, I'd see about digging it up and taking it with me. ;)

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I say Mulberry!
We have a massive one and all our animals go totally crazy for the berries each time they drop. Have not had any problems with 'staining' like I hear sometimes and we have a lot of wild birds eat from this tree and pets stomp on them and nothing.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My daughter and DSIL have a white mulberry in their yard. It makes a full well shaped tree with nice shade. The white mulberries drew squirrels and birds. They enjoy their tree. With the white mulberry there is no purple bird poop all over the cars. :thumbsup