Pecking Chickens

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my limited experience, separating a chicken from the flock actually lowers their place on the pecking order. I had to do this to a rooster who was getting too big for his britches. It worked temporarily, at least. Also, I'm not sure if someone mentioned it or not, but the pecking order does change over time. My EE Dovie who was the runt and low girl in the pecking order somehow became the most agressive, and bullies the former top girl now. I don't like it one bit, but haven't done anything about it yet. I am looking at getting 3 or 4 new pullets, and if I do, the order will have to be reworked then anyway.
Someone will always be at the low end. If you can provide a place in their coop and yard where the low girl can get away, like behind a clump of tall grass or a screen, she should be OK, providing the others are not making her bleed. The blukote is a good idea, too. Good luck. I hope the issue resolves itself when your new girls join the group.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
In my limited experience, separating a chicken from the flock actually lowers their place on the pecking order.
That's the way it's worked here, too. When I was ready to add my five month olds to the flock (of 12) I removed the five biggest bullies first and assigned them to the chicks' space and the chicks to the rest of the flock. Yes, there were still problems as the new pecking order was established, but not as bad as I'd expected. I added one of the bullies back each week knowing the pecking order would change with each addition. Before the last two bullies were to be returned, I sold most of the older birds along with my rooster, Monte, but I think my method would have worked well.

I also re-arranged the inside of the coop at the time I added the chicks so everyone felt a bit uncertain for a while. I suspect that may have helped, too.

Love, Smart Red

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
One other thing I thought of was getting a "flock block". It's a block of compressed seeds that gives them some pecking exercise when they get bored. I put one in the coop every winter when they are less inclined to go out and are in closer quarters with each other.

You could probably find Blu-Kote at Petco or Petsmart. I have something called "Rooster Booster" which is a liquid you apply to keep the picked spots from constant wounding.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
thistle, I've used Rooster Booster and it didn't seem to work very well.

Mary
Oh, hmmm, bummer. I've never had to use it, I just have it in my animal first aid kit.
Glad to hear she's growing feathers back though! :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad she seems to be growing feathers- good news! I like giving them straw/hay. It really keeps them occupied and minding there own business! Don't forget about free entertainment, like grass clippings, weeds, and fall leaves... My first year with chickens I realized our winters were long, and I had too many chickens for my coop. I built a little 10x10 sunroom for them, made out of old windows, and a few 2x4's. I collected the windows for free, hoping to make a greenhouse out of them. The sun room has worked out great. They hang out in there when there is snow on the ground, and even in the rain.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Sounds like everyone has figured it out for you. I was wondering if she was added last to an existing flock. We separated our layers this spring when a friend wanted to get rid of a rooster he thought was a pullet, when he bought him, so we took him. I gave him 3 layers, but one escaped and died. So, I tried to introduce another layer, from my other flock, principally bc the other hens and their rooster had worn off most of her back feathers. The 3 birds ("Chewbacca", rooster, and his 2 hens) chased her out of the one opening, 2 1/2 foot high, at the gate, and I found her hanging by her old flock, outside, the next morning. SHE didn't want to leave them. So...don't feel bad about any birds being pecked on. As long as they aren't beating them bloody, it's just how chickens treat each other.
Also, since I am STILL without a coop, mine are going inside for yet ANOTHER winter into a stall in the barn. Last year I moved in several wheelbarrows full of dirt and my birds thoroughly enjoyed their regular 11 AM dirt baths throughout the winter.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks thanks for telling me not to feel bad about their pecking. I needed to hear that because I feel so bad to see bald spots. My pecked hen and one other, were the last to be added to the flock. They grew up together and seemed to be best friends. Well I guess their friendship came to an end since her friend was the one doing the pecking! :lol: Her feathers are all grown in now and I'm getting ready to take off the peepers off the rest of the hens. Hopefully they'll leave each other alone for at least a few months.

Mary