Pectin

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have been making pear jelly. Hopefully it will set over the next couple days not quit being the thickness that I was looking for. My question is "can you over pectin something?" I probably should have exactly measured my fruit, but I think that I am close. I wondered that whole time in doing it if I should have dumped the extra box of pectin in for safe measure but I didn't know if it would mess the whole thing up.

Hobby

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure about over pecting them but, somethings take up to two weeks to set.

If it doesn't, then there is directions with the boxed pectin on how to remake it.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately it is possible to "over pectin" something, because you have to have exactly the right ratio of pectin to sugar (as well as exactly the right pH). I have accidentally made jams etc that could be cut into cubes and probably used as structural building materials <g>

Mismeasuring fruit does not make that much difference, though, (when you're using boxed pectin) - mismeasurement of sugar is more likely to cause problems.

If you were following an Actual Recipe fairly closely, I would guess you were right to refrain from putting in extra pectin in. OTOH if you were kind of winging it, it is probably best to actually test for gelling point (any of the tests mentioned in books - cold spoon, cold plate, rubbing alcohol, or whatever) and adjust pectin accordingly.

For me, box-pectin jams usually develop pretty close to their final 'set' within about 24-48 hours. Whereas jams etc made with only the fruit's own pectin -- especially marmalades -- can continue to firm up for as much as a coupla weeks.

If, a day or two from now, it is still too soupy for you, you can always remake the jelly if you don't want it just as dessert sauce -- it will lose a bit of the freshness of taste, but not too bad. Empty it out of the jars, briefly reboil it and add 1/3-1 packet of pectin, depending on exactly *how* failed it is :), and re-process just as you did before.

Good luck,

Pat, with very very sore hands from insufficient care while making pickled jalapenos this morning :p (but no arthritis pain in fingers! <g>)