Peonies...Can they be cut and saved, refrigerated?

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am using peonies for my daughters wedding and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with cutting peonies in bud form or are they able to refrigerate and keep longer? Also, any suggestions on how to rid them of the ants that so dearly love a peony?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I sooo wanted peonies for my wedding, but I didn't know enough at the time to set an earlier date when they would be blooming. Love peonies! :love They are so elegant and smell nice too.

They will open from bud form, but it has been my experience that the bloom is not as large and full as it would be if left to open. I've cut them early before when they had been blown over by harsh weather. I'm sure refrigeration would help to keep them fresh though. They last maybe a week as a cut flower. As far as the ants go...I would think they would not tolerate refrigeration and maybe leave! They are worst when they are still in tight buds because they are after the sap. I have been told that they do no damage to the bloom.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't pick them until they are well open! The peony actually needs the ants to open properly. The ants eat a sort of sticky glue off the peony bud to help it open. Then refrigerate after they are cut, but they still aren't going to keep for long.

I'm not sure if it helps to singe the stem, like poppies? Never tried.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Rosalind said:
Don't pick them until they are well open! The peony actually needs the ants to open properly. The ants eat a sort of sticky glue off the peony bud to help it open. Then refrigerate after they are cut, but they still aren't going to keep for long.

I'm not sure if it helps to singe the stem, like poppies? Never tried.
NO Kidding?!?!? :D And, here I am, knocking them off!!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This source says the ants are debatable. I was always told they were required, other sources say only the big fluffy double flowers really need the formic help, other sources say you don't need ants at all and it's an old wives' tale.

I know they tend to bugger off after the flowers are well open, though. Maybe a good shake of a partly-open bloom would be sufficient to dislodge them?

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I had not heard about the flower needing ants, but it sounds good ;-)

Latest posts