Pepper and Tomato Question

Rhett&SarahsMom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a small container garden on my front porch. I planted a started tomato plant and a started pepper plant months ago.

The tomato plant has some good size fruit on the bottom limbs. But nothing but some flowers on the upper branches. And it is getting tall! Is there anything I need to do to get more fruit out of it. And when the heck will the fruit on it turn red? I am dying for a red juicy tomato since I wont touch any from a store.

Also, my pepper plants keep growing, and growing, and growing. but nothing as far as a pepper goes? Am I doing something wrong?
The lettuce is growing great guns. The cucs are coming along nicely. But I am perplexed ont eh peppers and tomatos.

Thanks

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How hot has it been there?

Many times peppers and tomatoes won't set fruit when temps rise too high (above 90) and many tomato varieties won't redden when temps stay above 85. Sometimes when plants are grown in containers the plants tend to stay warmer since the container heats up quicker.

Keep them well watered and fertilized. Add calcium and magnesium to promote healthy fruits for both plants (egg shells and epsom salt).

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
How hot has it been there?

Many times peppers and tomatoes won't set fruit when temps rise too high (above 90) and many tomato varieties won't redden when temps stay above 85. Sometimes when plants are grown in containers the plants tend to stay warmer since the container heats up quicker.

Keep them well watered and fertilized. Add calcium and magnesium to promote healthy fruits for both plants (egg shells and epsom salt).
I was going to suggest the opposite :)...if your lettuce is 'growing great guns' sounds to me like you may be having too cool weather for your toms to set. Plus, keep in mind that it is normal to set fruit low and keep flowering on new growth. If your peppers are not blooming, then maybe a little bone meal could help to encourage more blooms.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
have you ever noticed a bloom on the peppers? I would say that your pepper soil is to sweet. Try adding a tbl of epson salt to 1 gallon of water mix it well and water your PEPPER ONLY with it for the next week. they need the sulfur to help them produce. You can also help this by sticking 4 or 5 wood matches in the ground around the pepper head first. do not light then first just put the in the ground about 2 or 3 inches from the roots all the way to the end of the match stick.

for the tomotoes just hurry up and wait they will turn red LOL

Rhett&SarahsMom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks all!

No the peppers have not ever had a bloom. Just growing taller and more leaves.
Amazingly I have epsom salt and etc in the house. Benefit of TB ownership :)

I will take care of them today. Thanks again

edited to add- It has been in the 80's mostly but humid

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Check out the vegetable website post. It tells you about alot of different vegetables.

Latest posts