Peppers 2024

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Recently I swapped seeds with another enthusiastic gardener in our area, and she gifted me seeds of three kinds of peppers that are all new to me: Marconi, Sheep Nose, and Arapaho. Today I will start pre-sprouting them-- but she also brought me seedlings of each variety, which is amazing. I ordered a couple of other new varieties this year, including Pumpkin Spice Jalapeno. It is from a breeding project that began in 1995 at New Mexico State University; this cross has a bell pepper and a jalapeno pepper as its parents.

Does anyone else have exciting developments on the pepper front for 2024?? 🌶️
I just made some escabeche with sweet peppers - red, yellow, and orange ones (not sure which variety). I put in hot red pepper flakes, oregano, salt , lots of fresh garlic, an onion and some thin carrot slices. Yummy after it sits for a week!

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just made some escabeche with sweet peppers - red, yellow, and orange ones (not sure which variety). I put in hot red pepper flakes, oregano, salt , lots of fresh garlic, an onion and some thin carrot slices. Yummy after it sits for a week!
Sounds interesting! Is there a recipe for escabeche that you could share with us please Dahlia?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds interesting! Is there a recipe for escabeche that you could share with us please Dahlia?
Yes! Grab a half gallon jar. Slice up 10 jalapeno peppers or any hot peppers. Thinly slice about 3 medium carrots diagonally. Slice a medium sized white onion. Chop up one entire garlic bulb. Pack tightly in the jar and add more of these ingredients to fill to the top. Add two tablespoons oregano. Make a saltwater mixture of 3 tablespoons salt to six cups water. Mix until the salt is dissolved. Pour in as much as needed to fill the jar. I use a glass weight at the top of the veggies to keep them under water and I also use an airlock lid to let gas escape. If you don't use an airlock your glass will crack! Put in a warm area for a week. Enjoy! It's awesome on tacos!
Tip: you can substitute the hot peppers with sweet peppers, but add 2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes for heat!

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One other thing to mention about the escabeche - put the jar somewhere where some liquid can bubble out the top and spill a bit! Like in another container. It bubbles a lot while fermenting!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I finally got over the crud enough to play with dirt & start this year's peppers indoors. Those marked "*" are seed crops:

* Amfora (large sweet, conical)
Beaver Dam (large hot, conical)
* Cardinal Black (sweet, bell-like)
* Early Jalapeno (hot, last year's crop failed)
Greygo (large sweet, "cheese" shape)
* Italian Cheese (hot, ruffled "cheese" shape)
* PI 315008 (very hot, habanero-like)
Pizza (hot, like oversized jalapeno)
* Thunder Mountain (hot, trial)

Not as many varieties as in years past, since the rural garden will be scaled back (again :() this year. That garden will now become identical to the 15' X 100' main garden at home.

Latest posts