Peppers Yellowing and Leaves Curling

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
was the ground warm enough that they were transplanted into?

(too lazy to go back and fix grammar :p)

Pat
Ground was definitely warm enough. We were just have weird weather . Highs in the 80's and lows in the 40's. Then rain. Then clouds. Then sun. Humidity were fluctuating like crazy too.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that a lack of magnesium in the soil can do that. The clues, I believe, are yellowing leaves on an an otherwise healthy plant.

Can't recall where I read it though...

~Phyllis

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SewingDiva said:
I remember reading somewhere that a lack of magnesium in the soil can do that. The clues, I believe, are yellowing leaves on an an otherwise healthy plant.

Can't recall where I read it though...

~Phyllis
Right, that sometimes does causes yellowing. I might spray them with Epsom salt and water this weekend.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I let my peppers dry out a little and gave them a spraying with an Epsom salt solution last week and they seem to be doing much better now.

Thank you all of you for your help and encouragement! :clap

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's funny that you should have done that. This past Saturday I got 2 boxes of epsom salts, on sale, 1/2 price. At the time I thought: Well, I can either soak in it, or use it on my potted peppers! :)

I'm so glad they are looking better! I really like growing peppers, and hate for them to have any problems.

Maybe you could let us know how they are doing, in a week or so! :)

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My grandmama, would always sprinkle a couple of spoon fulls of Epsom salt around a pepper plant when she put it in the ground. She said it would help with yellowing and make the stems strong.

al6517

Sprout
Reaction score
Lack of magnisium ? maybe, I have the same problem, so i disolved some epson salt and applied it, no improvement. we have plenty of water and great soil, could possibly be temps are no in the very narrow range that the peppers like, 70-90 degrees, I have not checked for any bug problems under the surface but I will. my plants just look droopy and poor. rest of the garden is super fantastic. I only start to top dress once fruit starts laying on, the leaves on the peper plant make their own nitro so no need to apply any.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
al6517 said:
Lack of magnisium ? maybe, I have the same problem, so i disolved some epson salt and applied it, no improvement. we have plenty of water and great soil, could possibly be temps are no in the very narrow range that the peppers like, 70-90 degrees, I have not checked for any bug problems under the surface but I will. my plants just look droopy and poor. rest of the garden is super fantastic. I only start to top dress once fruit starts laying on, the leaves on the peper plant make their own nitro so no need to apply any.
I think the problem for me was a lack of magnesium and perhaps a stint of cooler weather. After sprinkling epsom salt around the base of the plants they sprung back about 1 or 2 weeks later. Letting them dry out also seemed to help.

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
al6517 said:
.....the leaves on the peper plant make their own nitro so no need to apply any.
Hi,

I'm not sure that I understand about the pepper leaves. I've never heard that pepper leaves make their own nitrogen...not that that means anything, there are a lot of things I don't know. But really, they do need a bit of a nitrogen boost.

If you were to give them too much, then you would promote a lot of lush growth, to the detriment of your fruit, but some is needed.

I hope they begin to look better soon! :happy_flower

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got the same problem and am using the same methods...and these pitiful plants are trying to set bloom! I'm going to try the epsom salts...I've tried everything else! ;)

Latest posts