Perennials In Pots

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a collection of perennials in pots that I need to winter over. They are all acustom in general to deep freeze being zone three plants. Some are yarrow and others are goji berries. I have them in a sun room, (not green house) where the days might warm up to 35 to 45 on sunny days but where it will freeze at night, and day time too if its not sunny.

I need to know what the watering needs of these plants are. Should I just let them dry out for the winter, or water them once a week, once a month? Although most of you probably dont know about goji, please just tell me the general recommendations for perennials ir you can.

thanks

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't want the plants to dry out. As to how often to water, it would depend on a lot of variables.
In general, just make sure the soil is moist before it freezes solid, ( if it does freeze solid in your sunroom ).

On warmer days, check them and add tepid water to the pot.

Depending on the pots thickness, you could wrap some bubble wrap around it to help insulate the roots that are contacting the sides of the pot.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well they are planted in two gallon pots from seed starter cells only about 6 weeks ago. Im sure they arn't touching the sides and have pretty good soil insulation right now.

Thanks I will keep them moist by watering on warmer days as needed.

Latest posts