Performed my first Bumblefoot surgery the other night...

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I noticed one of my Buff Orpingtons was limping the other day so I picked her up and sure enough, she had bumblefoot... or should I say feet? I noticed about a week ago she was playing near the fire pit (little stinker!). She must have gotten something stuck in her feet and couldn't get it out. I had been researching this surgery knowing I would have to do it eventually. Margie is a good 10lbs and a very spirited bird so I enlisted the help from my brother and mother who were visiting. They thought they were just coming for dinner...nope! Josh is working nights again so he got a lucky break. I finally went out and bought the remaining components to my chicken first aid kit and sterilized EVERYTHING in the kitchen. The first foot was very infected and I started to panic once we hit the hour marker and had to step away for a minute. The second foot was textbook and almost all of the infection came out together. Today is two days post-op for Margie and she is doing great in her dog kennel in the laundry room. I came home late from work last night and she instantly started cooing when I opened the door. I kinda like having a laundry companion :)

bumble.jpg

Here we are post-op. She did great! She is 3 years old and such a spunky girl.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only had to do it once... but was amazed how well it went. Glad you had the same experience!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What we do for our animals. Doctor, nurse, babysitter, grocery shop.......
I am glad that the surgery went well and that she is doing ok. She might like being a house chicken.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just changed her bandages and she is healing up nicely! The swelling in the foot that had the worst infection has gone down by about half. They both already have a decent scab on them. She's starting to get her spunk back, too!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
How did she behave while you were doing the procedure? Did you put her on her back so she would relax?

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm really glad I've never had to do this, but I would do it if necessary. None of my chickens really like to be handled. I'd have to wrap them tightly in a towel or something.