Perserving Corn

tiffanyh

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Can you freeze corn the same way you might with green peppers or green beans? Just cut them off the cob and store them in the freezer?

Our neighbor grows corn through the summer and my kids love corn so I thought it would be nice to freeze some........

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
tiffanyh said:
Can you freeze corn the same way you might with green peppers or green beans? Just cut them off the cob and store them in the freezer?

Our neighbor grows corn through the summer and my kids love corn so I thought it would be nice to freeze some........
Yes you can freeze corn. Cut it off the cob and cook it until it starts to boil. Then put them in a freezer bag. If you have a Seal a Meal or a Food Saver this is the best way to freeze it. I also go ahead and put butter, salt and pepper in mine as well. Lasts for months.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i freeze it every year. I never blanche it on the cob of off and it still tastes great. What I would like to know if how do you freeze it on the cob and make it worth while when it is time to cook it?

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
i freeze it every year. I never blanche it on the cob of off and it still tastes great. What I would like to know if how do you freeze it on the cob and make it worth while when it is time to cook it?
Not quite sure what you are asking but will try to answer. You can blanch it on the cob then freeze it. I have been told you don't have to blanch it. You just wrap it tightly and put it in the freezer. I don't do it that way because of the space in my freezer. I like it better cut off the cob. Also I forgot to mention that you need to let it cool before you put it in the freezer. If you don't it has a tendency to form ice crystals then it doesn't taste as good.
If you don't have a Blue Ball canning book you might want to get one it is well worth the money.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I blanch corn on the cob according to the Ball Blue Book then drain them really well and put them 4 at a time ( single serving for me and DH ) and use my food saver to vaccuum pack them. I put a folded paper towel between the corn and the seal to stop any water from getting sucked up into my food saver.

When ready to cook I just have my water boiling and drop the package in (if frozen it takes a little longer than if thawed). Corn comes out nice and juicy and not over cooked.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
What's corn relish, sounds good. ;)
It's a sort of lightly pickled, not overly sour kind of thing. Pickled corn kernals with a little bit of red or green pepper and onion in there too, and stuff.

Unfortunately I don't have my mom's recipe (although I should get it, shouldn't I...); the closest I could quickly find online is something like http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Corn-Relish-I/Detail.aspx although I do not believe mom uses any sweet pickle relish. This one http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Red-Pepper-and-Corn-Relish/Detail.aspx sounds sort of like it too, if you exchanged sugar for the maple syrup.

My mom always just water-bath cans it, I guess she figures hers has enough vinegar in it; but you might pressure-can it if you want to be really on the safe side.

Is corn relish not a universal thing, then? I didn't realize til grad school that porkroll sandwiches (porkroll in general, in fact) are basically nonexistant if you go more than an hour or two from Philly, and I still occasionally run across something that was commonplace in childhood that turns out to be a Pennsylvania Dutch thing... is it possible corn relish is one of those?

Pat, who is now hungry for corn relish :p

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
OaklandCityFarmer said:
What's corn relish, sounds good. ;)
It's a sort of lightly pickled, not overly sour kind of thing. Pickled corn kernals with a little bit of red or green pepper and onion in there too, and stuff.

Is corn relish not a universal thing, then? I didn't realize til grad school that porkroll sandwiches (porkroll in general, in fact) are basically nonexistant if you go more than an hour or two from Philly, and I still occasionally run across something that was commonplace in childhood that turns out to be a Pennsylvania Dutch thing... is it possible corn relish is one of those?

Pat, who is now hungry for corn relish :p
So now I want to know what a porkroll sandwich is? haha Maybe I'm just used to the California born and raised kind of thing, although I could give you a few Spanish recipes that would make you question how many uses a cow really has. :ep

That recipe sounds good, I'll have to try it. And yes, you should get your mom's recipe.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not sure porkroll is describable. It is sort of like a cross between bologna and sausage, and undoubtedly contains mostly the less-noble portions of the pig, and other things. Nice and fatty and salty :) You cut it in 1/4-1/2" slices, score the edges so it doesn't cup, and fry it up. Eat either plain, for breakfast (at least it means that everything else you eat that day will be health-food in comparison <g>) or slather with ketchup and eat between toast slices for lunch. Mmmmmmm <drool>

It is strictly a SE PA thing, as far as I know.

Kind of like scrapple. Which is a rectangular loaf made of all the parts of the pig that didn't qualify for making into porkroll <g> plus a buncha cornmeal. Again, you slice it and fry it, and eat it to gross out non-Pennsylvania-Dutch non-Philly type people :)

More relevantly, yes, I will try to pry mom's corn relish recipe out of her next time I'm on the phone with her :)

Pat, who is now seriously missing porkroll