Perserving Corn

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
I still want to try a porkroll sandwich.

Pat or ShellieESterling know a good source?
Well, I'm not sure where you could find it locally. Here, everywhere carries it. Even the Dollar General stores. :lol:
Here's the website to the brand we buy all the time.
http://www.jerseyporkroll.com/ -- perhaps you can buy it there and have it shipped or something? Good luck, it's soooo worth it. :D

ETA-- We get the little red boxes of pre-sliced.

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here is how my corn is preserved. Ingested as a soup and even as a juice periodically. It is vrry rich and filling. Eat to live not live to eat.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZWVZC 6 August 2012 Corn Juice
Corn is in season now.It is of the highest quality. Cost is six dollars for 14 cobs if you have your own bag. Eighty four cobs were processed into 22 litres of juice.Twenty one litres was pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage and one litre was placed in the refrigerator for current use.Some peppers,okra and egg plant, since they were available from the garden, was added to the cooking pot.Water was added to make the product liquid enough for drinking. Each litre of juice contains 3.8 cobs of corn. Annotated photos depict the process.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
My corn crop ended up with about 10 ears.. and those were mostly cob, not corn.
But then a neighbor came by and dropped off a couple dozen ears! So I'm going to try freezing it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. :D

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that canesisters.... MontyJ came in last night and told me that a lot of our corn stalks are doubles!!!!!:weee :weee last time that happened we had corn stored at our neighbors house and took most of the room in their freezer :th :ep

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Dew. There were only 12 plants to start with so I suppose that as far as ear-count goes it was real good. We had some really weird weather after they got started (like everyone else) so they really struggled. I suppose that having any corn at all was an achievement. Next year, I'm thinking that I might do a whole patch just in corn.. who knows..

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whad a thunderstorm roll threw yesterday afternoon ad knock our corn over again, not all of it but some of it. It was just starting to tasstle too. At least you have a nice neighbor canesisters... If you lived closer I'd gvie you some too. Sorry your corn didnt make as much as you wanted. :/