Persimmon Trees

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am interested in getting a persimmon tree. I live in zone 5 and I read that they can't really be kept good in my zone due to the temps. Does anyone have one? How long does it take them to fruit? How big do they get? I have seen one in my travels in this area and it was a large tree so I think there is some hope.

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My BIL has one on the common ground behind his house. It's a good size. I got some seeds from it a few years ago and started some for my dad to plant on his hunting property for the deer to eat the fruit of. I don't know if they took or if the deer ate the poor little things.

I'm pretty sure they are a seedling tree that can be purchased from Mo Dept of Conservation in the early spring. They only offer trees that will work in MO.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ShowMe31 said:
My BIL has one on the common ground behind his house. It's a good size. I got some seeds from it a few years ago and started some for my dad to plant on his hunting property for the deer to eat the fruit of. I don't know if they took or if the deer ate the poor little things.

I'm pretty sure they are a seedling tree that can be purchased from Mo Dept of Conservation in the early spring. They only offer trees that will work in MO.
I think probably the ones available for that are the wild American persimmon. Although they are edible and quite tasty they are very small and mostly pit. They are an abundant food source for many wild animals.
The ones planted for edible fruit and orchard use originated in China and Japan. They have large sweet fruit and are usually grafted.

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hoodat said:
ShowMe31 said:

I think probably the ones available for that are the wild American persimmon. Although they are edible and quite tasty they are very small and mostly pit. They are an abundant food source for many wild animals.
The ones planted for edible fruit and orchard use originated in China and Japan. They have large sweet fruit and are usually grafted.
Thanks for the info. I am looking at one that originated in Japan.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are two types of Japanese persimmon. The astringent type is usually cone shaped and very puckery as it comes off the tree. It has to sit till it is very ripe (actually slightly over ripe) and slightly mushy , at which point it loses it's astringency and becomes very sweet. Hachiya gaki are to commonest of this type. These are not often seen in markets since their shelf life after they become sweet is short.
The non astringent variety can be eaten when it is still firm, like an apple. They are usually tomato shaped. Fuyu gaki is the commonest variety of this type. These are sweet but not as sugary as the astringents. These will keep in a cool place for several weeks after picking and become sweeter with storage
Some of the newer varieties are self fertile but most will need a pollinator. It is common to buy one of each type and let them pollinate each other.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite fruit in this whole wide world is the Hachiya persimmon. We had a tree in San Jose, which I planted. Took three years to get a good crop, but from then on, I had more fruit that the squirrels could possibly eat. The best part is that you can strip the tree, lay out the fruit in the garage, and they all ripen over time.

Now I'm in Zone 7 and the persimmon I planted here is struggling. The winters are too cold for it to grow as nicely as it did in Zone 9. Not sure how it would do in a Zone 5.

bcallaha

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi, we're in Zone 6a, not far from the southern edge of Zone 5. The wild persimmons grow well here, and north of here in southern Zone 5. I think they may be hardier than the Japanese varieties. True, they have seeds, but we get good pulp from the fruit, and they are plentiful around here. I posted a persimmon pudding recipe last year on this website. I LOVE Persimmon pudding!!!!!!

I prefer the taste of the wild ones over the Japaneese type, but that's just my personal preference.

Brad

sonjab314

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I remember about 30 years ago, when I was a little child, my next door neighbor had a persimmon tree. At that time I lived in southern AR. Anyway, I remember picking persimmons off of his tree and eating them. They were soooo good. I only remember him having one tree so I don't know if it was a self pollinator or not. I really only have room for one tree so it need to be self pollinating. Any ideas?

Latest posts