Photo evidence

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been talking about how the baby ground squirrels have been eating my pole beans. I planted a mix of burgundy and green pole beans. They only ate the green bean plants.

002-1.jpg

021.jpg

The Mustard Seed Gardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They are bigger then a chipmonk. A ground squirrel looks like a regular squirrel except the tail is not so fluffy. They live in the ground and borrow holes . We lived in S. Cal for a time and they would eat anything! They would especially like the berries from the pyracantha bush. They would eat them....and then get drunk. We have video footage of them doing it...it was funny. For this reason, we did not have a veggie garden while we lived there. I think one of the worst pest is the pocket gopher....now they drove my DH crazy! These guys make ruts and trenches, borrows and your animals can break, or spraine their leg if they fall in one. Grouund squirrels live in the ground, but they also can climb trees and eat your fruit. :barnie

curly_kate said:
What are ground squirrels? Around here, ours live in trees.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here is a pic of a Washington ground squirrel. They are listed as "critical" status here in Oregon where I live.

r

Latest posts