Photo shot of the newest ladies

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I mentioned getting chicks, but don't remember if I shared the fun in pictures. Here are a few baby photos. Here is a photo the active young ladies on their first day at home.
Chicks, May 13, 2015.JPG

A shot of them at one month of age when they moved to the garden shed. Notice all the bags of peat moss piled there on the right? Snatched these and more at $.50 a bale one year. The price for that size is over $12.00 each now if you can find them .
chicks at 4 weeks.JPG

Finally, a more recent picture of the 16 ladies getting out into the world to play.
chicks getting out.JPG

After a week of playing in an outside pen, I have it opened so the big girls and the young ones can get together. So far, it's worked out really well. I've seen the babies eating (spagetti) out of the same food container as Nesco and Cochie, and the other flock sharing scratch around the open pen. The little ones are still a bit nervous about ranging free and have stuck pretty close to home.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first time (in recent years) I bought chickens, I ordered five Australorp (black) and five Light Brahma (white w/black markings). That allowed me to get one rooster of each breed. The hens you see are the Brahmas. The Brahma rooster was delicious!

The next few years at the Grands' request, I started getting more variety in chicken breeds. Only Hilda (A) and Brooke (LB) remain from that first year. Both are four years old or better and both still lay eggs -- odd shaped, weak shelled, but delicious eggs.

Besides the new 16 girls -- they are supposed to be all pullets -- Egglet, my Easter Egger, is setting on a number of eggs that should be hatching within the week if they make it. That's way too many birds for my coop so Hilda, Brooke, and a few others just might be stewing away before fall. Maybe. Or maybe I will be finding room for them in the garden shed with Nesco and Cochie during the winter.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chickie'sMomaInNH, I was told the 3 light ones in the photo are Cherry Eggers. Research seems to indicate that Cherry Egger is another name for Rhode Island Red, but these have the puffy cheeks of my Easter Egger. The 3 brown/red chicks are supposed to be RIR's and there is definitely a difference between the two varieties. The other 10 are supposed to be Barred Rocks.

@Nyboy, here are the chickens you saw in the coop photo -- the Light Brahams and the black Australorps -- at 4 months old.
Chickens at 4 months.JPG

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i saw the foot feathering and looked like they had beards & muffs like my faverolles. if they have 5th toes (where the 4th toe on the back of the leg there will be 2, like a silkie). if you get a closer pic of one of them let me know and i could tell you for sure if this is what you got. are they friendly or curious or have they been a little skittish?

Latest posts