Garden Master
Reaction score
On the hills just out of the lake basin

9018_100_4388.jpg

9018_100_4383.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, the Pine Beetles have indeed found us. We have a lot of different true pines up here. The Pines that we call sugar pines, the kinds that have their bark in plate type fashion, are hard hit by them. But the several kinds of Pines we lump together called Jack Pine truly seem very resistant to them.

That does bring me back to a thing I did offer with one of the Land Managers, and will bring up again at the new forest service building at upper lake, that this would be a very good place to do some plantings of the rare and actually nearly endangered BISHOIP PINE.

The Bishop Pines are related to the Jack and Bull Pines, and I really think would also be resistant to the borer beetles.

Up to last I checked, Mendocino National Forest has the unique policy of being a "working" forest, where carefully planned cuts and harvests are done. They do reforesting plantings too, as I've seen, mostly of the Fir species though, and they get very low percentages of survival of plantings. My opinion is they don't do enough after care of the plantings the first year of summer hand waterings.

I really am considering applying as a planter, with a proposal of planting the rare Bishop Pines which I believe would do well here. At first I would do it on a small scale. Bishop Pines are a grove type tree. They seem to thrive only where there are large enough groves of them. As their native groves become smaller they die off.

I'm glad you brought up the fact of the borers Lesa!

Oh, and So Lucky, the Big Foot kids were down there for sure, but they ran into hiding before I got the picture of them! They have very excellent eyes and know what a camera looks like from miles away. I need a camera that looks like a Pine Cone! Does Pentax make one?

Latest posts