Picking and Saving Grapes for Jams

dogginfox

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have about 20lbs of Concord Grapes that are just DAYS away from needing to be picked before they are over-ripe and the insects start to suck them dry!

I am not a Canner (yet) my Aunt is going to teach me how when she gets back from her vacation in 2 weeks.

I need to know what I should do with the grapes for the next 2 weeks. With the heat, bugs and ripeness of the grapes I dont think they will do well attached to the vine much longer.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wait until the last minute... pick.... wash.... and put in storage gallon bags in the fridge until I'm ready to make jelly. Last year they were in the fridge for at least a week before I could get to them. When figs, berries, tomatoes, corn and grapes are ready at once it can be over whelming and time consuming!

You should be ok.

You'll probably need at least 5 gallon storage bags for that weight.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you can always prep the juice part of it anytime. making grape jelly is sort of a 2 day process anyways. once you make the juice part of it you need to let it set overnight because of the crystals that will form and need to be filtered out. (this is the type of crystals that can harm a dog and why you don't give grapes to them). once the juice is made you can take and freeze it for later when making the jelly!

Latest posts