pickle problem

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got better results using pickling cucumbers, not field cucumbers. Soaking them in salt water in the refrigerator overnight and using fresh cucumbers seemed to help also.

I have not tried the pickling lime.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Some of it is the pickles - as others have said, use pickling cucumbers and use them at the right size for that cultivar.

But also, some recipes produce crispier pickles than others (particularly recipes that have you salt them first for a while, then *gradually* add sugar over a period of time). I was impressed that the sweet gherkin recipe I used last summer actually produced pickles just as crisp as most storeboughten sweet gherkins (although boy was it a week-long project :p).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sometimes it could be the water. My mom made great dill pickles - tasty, crispy, etc. and then moved to another city and had trouble with musht pickles. Nothing else changed except the water.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I experimented with adding grape leaves to my pickles this past summer. Grape leaves are supposed to keep the pickles crisp AND they worked! I used a basic pickle recipe from the Blue Ball canning book, half of the jars I added grape leaves to and half I didn't. The ones with grape leaves are MUCH crisper.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that interesting Catalina! That was a great way to do the experiment. I was afraid to make pickles last year- made tons of relish and have regretted it! Can't wait to try pickles this year- with grape leaves! How many did you add per jar?

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
Isn't that interesting Catalina! That was a great way to do the experiment. I was afraid to make pickles last year- made tons of relish and have regretted it! Can't wait to try pickles this year- with grape leaves! How many did you add per jar?
Just one med leaf to a pint.

Latest posts