Pickle Trellis... She couldn't wait!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We were planning on making a new trellis for the pickling cukes the other day. DW couldn't wait for me to get home and did it herself. It's a good thing because they are ready to start climbing. It's a sister to the one on the right side of the picture.
Gotta love a woman who can handle her tool belt!:thumbsup
7434_pickle_trellis_001.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that RidgebackR. Like the trellis to ground bracing in opposite directions at both ends - economical. Also, the bracing in general shows planning and the ability to cut at angles. My compliments to your DW!

Question from someone who has never trellised cucumbers: does it need to be that high? My concern is wind-resistance. Wouldn't want you to have to set a couple 5 gal buckets of concrete out there to keep it from blowing over. That would ruin the good looks.

But then, what role does what looks like a hedge and line of trees play with regards to the wind?

Steve
in the wind, again this morning

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Alright RidgebackRanch, I'm liking those boxes. Give up the details, it looks like fence posts? Or maybe logs? Need to know how you nailed them together or did you use spikes?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
She did at great job for sure! Next year I will do something like that instead of putting my cukes in the garden. They have taken over my squash and corn.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to say that I am WAY impressed! Hubby gets blown away when I go out there and DO, but its in a woman's nature to 'get things done'.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
7434_finishing_touched_6-24-2011_001.jpg

Putting in the last few staples. Lumber- $15.00, hardware we didn't already have-$2.00. Not bad.

Steve- This runs east to west with a tall stand of trees to the north. When we get strong winds this time of year it's nonrmally from the north so it is protected. As for winds from the south, there are more trees and the house to the south that take enough of the edge off the wind that it works.

As for the height, when things work out well then yes it's ok to be this high. Also we are both well over 6' tall so we tend to engineer things to our size. I would suggest whatever people are comfortable working with as for size. National Pickling Cucumber can grow pretty long, but you can also send it down and then back up if needed.

Peeps, the beds are made from cheap landscaping timebers that are 8' long and flat on two sides. The run $3-$4 dollars each although we generally stock up when they are on sale. I have used log screws in the past, but now we use 6" long 1/4" diameter nails the hold well and give stability. That particular bed was built for a row cover to fit it and the seeds were planted about a month ago. As you can see we added another level this year.

Thank you all for your comments, we just love doing all of this. It's a good thing when you live in the sticks. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
RidgebackRanch said:
. . . Also we are both well over 6' tall so we tend to engineer things to our size. I would suggest whatever people are comfortable working with . . . landscaping timebers . . . As you can see we added another level this year. . .
See, now what I'd suggest is that next year you add another level of landscaping timbers and the next year, another level. The year following . . . and again, the next year . . .

Of course, you just might have to find lots and lots more compost and good gardening soil to put in there but you can consider that money in the bank ;).

And, "both well over 6'" . . . ? As the years pass, you may find that ground level is farther and farther away . . . at least, I have :rolleyes:.

Steve

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
. . . As the years pass, you may find that ground level is farther and farther away . . . at least, I have.
Boy oh boy that's the truth! I'm so sore from getting wwwaaayyy down there a thousand times a day out in the garden. These old bones aren't going to take much more of it :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beware of the determined woman!! Very nicely done. I saw something similar in a garden near here. I couldn't quite figure it out- now I know what it is!

Latest posts