Pickled Beet Recipes

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My beets are still doing well and while we are totally loving the roasted ones I want to try my hand at pickling some. Do any of you have a favorite recipe? I want to can them and the only recipe I found called for a 45 min processing time (waterbath) Even at my altitude, almost 7000 I thought that was a tad long for beets?
:rainbow-sun

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing the same- the recipe in Ball's guide, says 30 minutes in a boiling water canner...Keep us posted if you do this, I would be very interested to hear your results...

ml

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Have you tried Mrs Wages for pickling. Like the sweet pickle one for my beets.

ML

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're right, I checked and Richters only has dried roots (not seeds or plants) of the "wild sarsaparilla" Aralia nudicaulis (which AFAIK is not the real stuff anyhow).

I recall mom telling me that the reason you can't get "real" root beer anymore is because sassafras used to be one of the crucial ingredients, and of course it is now thought to be not such a good thing to be taking in a lot of on a regular basis.

whoever wrote the Wikipedia article said:
Root beer flavor may contain a variety of flavors, coming from the wide range of ingredients. Bark from the roots of the sassafras tree was the typical flavor in root beer historically, and is the primary flavor most individuals associate with the beverage. It is slightly red at times. Sassafras bark was banned by the United States Food and Drug Administration in 1976 because of the carcinogenic properties of its constituent chemical safrole. A safrole-free variety is now used, with some claiming that it has a weaker flavor than the pre-1960 variety.[2] Acacia is also used.

There are hundreds of root beer brands in the United States, produced in every U.S. state,[3] and there is no standardized recipe. The primary ingredient, artificial sassafras flavoring, is complemented with other flavors, common ones being vanilla, wintergreen, cherry tree bark, liquorice root, sarsaparilla root, nutmeg, anise, molasses, cinnamon, clove and honey.

Homemade root beer is usually made from concentrate,[4] though it can also be made from actual herbs and roots. Both alcoholic and non-alcoholic root beers have a thick and foamy head when poured, often enhanced through the addition of yucca extract.

At least one brand of root beer, Barq's, also contains caffeine although they also produce a caffeine-free variety which is sold in Utah due to demand from the large Mormon community. Also caffeine free Barq's is largely imported to areas of rural Pennsylvania as it is seen fit for Amish consumption.
Pat

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
How do you roast them?
I just wash them well toss with some olive oil then place on a shallow pan cover with foil and cook at 350F for 45-60 min or until tender. Peel and enjoy... Don't forget to saute the greens with some olive oil and garlic
:rainbow-sun

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mom used to put sliced beets in a jar of sweet pickle brine after we had eaten the pickles. They were picked in a a week or so. If you keep them in the refrigerator they should last a long time and just keep getting better. I guess that is the cheater's way of doing it, but they are good!

Latest posts