Pickles!?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was given like 8 pickling cukes over the weekend, and I guess I should make pickles... but I don't know how?! I just need to make one jar and a lot of the recipes I see make like 8-12 jars or more!

None of my dill came up, so I replanted those recently... and dill is my favorite kind of pickle. What other quick options do I have?!

I have no problem making refrigerator pickles by not sealing the jars and doing them FRESH (1 jar will get eaten pretty quick, not worth storing).

I also do not have 'pickling' salt? I have sea salt, iodine salt and kosher salt. Will any of those work? What other seasonings do you suggest? I just want to try what I have available here if possible.

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the recipes, but as far as the salt goes, I know you want something that does not have any additives. They usually put something in the salt to keep it from clumping. check your kosher salt and your sea salt ingredient list. I think kosher would be your best bet. don't use the iodine. I love garlic an jalepenos in pickles :D Good luck!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IMO the easiest thing would be to make hamburger relish, just the amount you have cukes for. (Can pad it out with anything else you like, of course, e.g. onions or corn or cabbage, too). Just chop the veggies up, see how much you have, then scale down a recipe accordingly.

Or, you could scale down a bread-and-butter pickle recipe.

Processing times do not change.

Don't use iodized salt; kosher salt is fine though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat