Pics of Worm Bin and Worms!

valmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'd love worm bin, but it would have to stay inside in the winter. I'm not sure SO would go for that.;) The bought bins are also a bit pricey, I think, from the ones I could find online. I was considering starting small with the two bucket with holes in one type- I have plenty of buckets. How many worms would I put in a 5gallon bucket without crowding them?

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have two worm farms. One like the one pictured earlier in the thread and another that's more like a rectangle tub. My fil says his dad always had five gallon buckets in the garage with worms. I think if you soaked some shredded newspaper and rung out excess water you would not need more than a couple inches across the bottom.. Usually they say to throw in a scoop of garden dirt and the worms and your good to go. I think a piece of screen across the top is a good idea as well. Mine like to craw out.
The thing with the bucket vs the multiple trays is when you actually need to separate worms from castings. With the bucket you need to dump out on a large flat surface and kinda sift castings by hand and then put worms back. I have seen all kinds of large scale operations use a washing machine tub thing and tumble them. But your hands work just a well.
I was going to give the bucket method a try but my new bin is going to be used for rabbit poop only. Kinda a new experiment.

good luck, :)

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always wanted a worm farm!! We visited our local Botanical Garden here, and one of the things they had was a demonstration of how to build a worm farm.

They used concrete block, and the space was not very big. About 2 and 1/2 feet wide, and about 5 feet long. It was under a tree. I do remember him saying that when he wanted to clean out the castings, he would add new food to one end, and the worms would then travel to the new food on the other side.

I sort of have a wom farm... in my compost pile!! Tons of them!!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
havi said:
I buying one of these for myself at christmas. DH asked what I wanted(we shop early) and I told him The Worm Factory. He just rolled his eyes and laughed. Muttered something along the lines of most women want jewelry, but Im asking for worms. :lol:
:yuckyuck

I like the simple things in life too, I have very little jewelry.
I should have told DH I wanted a worm factory for my Birthday. well Mother's day is this weekend :woot Great idea :clap

:happy_flower Karan :D

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just got the email that my worms are on their way! Will introduce them to my homemade bins, and implement all of my research (being a big 'ol nerd does have it's perks!;)).

I'll keep everyone posted.:weee

selinagil

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
That is super cool.... but creepy all in one! I know how good worms are, and I collect them from the yard to put in beds and my compost... but they still freak me out!!!! :lol:
I'm with Vfem---I know worms a super great for the soil and I don't kill them but they are my nightmare!!!!!!!!!:(

Latest posts