Pictures of Progress(?) on Their Way

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember the pictures (inspired by Rebbetzin) of my garden thru the season. I'm about to post updated ones.

It has been 5 weeks since I showed you how the gardens had moved from "dirt as seen for the last 6 months" to "dirt that has been cultivated." Except for 1 bed in the large veggie garden, the gardens have now been fully planted. It must still be about 95% dirt since the plants are all small, just emerging, or below ground. (Actually, there are quite a few weeds :rolleyes:.)

I don't want any "Sorry, I'm so glad I don't live there" responses. In all honesty, the pace here is so slow that I worry about damaging my TEG credibility. I know, what TEG credibility? Just be patient, there will be more green as summer arrives. And, don't expect to see a jungle and, NO, I will not leave everything until it is hopelessly past its prime, just so that there is some sense of bounty to the photographs. Harvest will proceed as everything reaches maturity. What passes maturity will likely be pulled and composted. That will make room for new plants or, near the end of the season, cleared ground - ready for winter.

None of this ground belongs to me so I have to clear it by winter. Until then, I make as best use of it as I can with succession plantings, where I can.

After getting thoroughly soaked in a rainstorm this morning, I was thinking how this is such a maritime climate during the Spring and then it evolves to near desert conditions by late summer. Hopefully, I can get some plant growth between the remarkably cool conditions now and the weeks when the terrain is blasted by heat and dryness. Alpine conditions are just an hour's drive away with evergreen forests all the way :cool:. That's always been my safety valve -- if things get too tuff down here in the flatlands, I'll just head for the hills! (. . . to chew on spruce buds, "reminds me of wild hickory nuts" :rolleyes:.)

Steve :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have only the shady corner garden to take a shot at . . .

First, I wanted to take a shot at gettin' the weeds out of the leeks today. It's a finger 'n' thumb process . . .

And, the light is never good over there. It has kind of a peaceful look to it late in the afternoon when the sun breaks thru the trees a little. Direct light is only in the morning. Then, it is kind of really direct - since the trees very nearly overhang it.

Fortunately, most of the trees are pines. I have a fairly good gardening relationship with pines. Their roots seem to go straight down. I'm in a continual (losing) battle with the spruce that grow near the little veggie garden, however. But, I don't have to get them in the picture when taking a shot at that grow area. I'll need to spruce up the area under the pines today.

Steve :p

Latest posts