Pitahaya / Dragon Fruit

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is straight forward but thought I'd bounce this off anyone who may know. Since the pitahaya / dragon fruit are cacti, to propagate a new plant, I would take a segment and cut side goes into the soil, right? Is there a depth that I need to cover it to? City Boy accidentally broke a section off our large one trying to get the segment into the trellis. I immediately stuck it in a pot with soil, but just wanted to make sure that I didn't have to do anything additional.

Thanks in advance

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes it is recommended to let the broken-off piece sit unplanted for a couple-three days before planting. I am not familiar with the particular plant you mention, however. I bet it will work both ways.:)

stepstephens2

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I read somewhere to make sure it was potting soil specifically for cactus.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Remember that it's a tropical cactus, not a desert one so it will need more water but it absolutely needs very good drainage. It grows easily here in San Diego but I just don't have room for a monster like that.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Remember that it's a tropical cactus, not a desert one so it will need more water but it absolutely needs very good drainage. It grows easily here in San Diego but I just don't have room for a monster like that.
Monster is an understatement. This thing has sections that grow several inches in a day. We have not been blessed with any flowers or fruit yet, but at least have it started in a trellis. The gentleman we got it from suggested we leave it potted, said they are more manageable that way - and with our gophers, it's much safer.

At any rate, I'll keep an eye on the segment and see how it goes. Trial and error and it's not like we aren't going to have more segments to practice with, at the rate this grows!

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
so far so good. I have not noticed any yellowing at the tip of the segment and I'm reluctant to take it out of the medium to check for roots so I will just leave it and see what happens. We have a segment on the original that is almost 4' long.