Planning a fall garden

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started some cabbage, broccoli, kale and cauliflower seeds and they are up. Should I have just started the seeds in the garden? I am planning on putting them in the garden in July if the potatoes are done. Would this be a good idea? I remember trying broccoli last summer like this. I am not sure when I started them, but I remember slugs getting on the plants at night and having a heck of a time keeping them plants alive. I got a little bit of broccoli, but I am thinking it was not worth the trouble.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know, Gwr.

Last year, I tried something ~ different. Since aphids are such pests in the cabbage, I decided to try the cabbage late and see if the aphids would miss them. Since I didn't trust "late" cabbage to mature in time, I started Early Dutch in containers here in the backyard about this time & set them out sometime in July . . .

By frost, they were just about the smallest heads I've ever seen.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here, I grow those crops for the winter. July would just be a bar-b-cue for them, and August and sometimes September too. But to get anything, I have to start them in August. Only one way to find out and that is to give it a try. What works for me might be a train wreck for you and vice-versa.

For the slugs, an elderly man at church just told me to scatter Epsom salts at the bottom of the plant. You know what salt does to slugs don't you? ;)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried direct seeding brussel sprouts in the garden last year, first time for me. And I seeded them on July 1st like my ag extension calendar recommended. But they did not mature in time to bear, so I guess the calendar meant to start plants at that time...on which they really should be more clear.

There are two advantages to starting them in flats for fall, despite the fact that you could direct seed them. One, they are safer in the flats from bunnies, bugs and harsh weather. And two, you can finish up some other crop and plant the transplants in a more timely manner, making better use of your garden space.

I don't know what zone you are in or when your growing season ends, but you may still be in time to start them. For me, I will start my flats for fall crops in mid-May from now on, for transplanting on July 1st.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started them June 18. I guess all I can do is try. I will try the Epsom salts. I would be happy with small heads of cabbage at this point. I am about to give up on the ones I have planted now. The just will not make heads.

plainolebill

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We plant kale into flats in the middle of July and set them out when they're ~5-6" tall. If I could find a variety of broccoli that would head up during cool weather I'd try that too but I'm not planting it as a home for aphids. :(

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not sure about the planting time I did want to offer that if slugs are your problem save your egg shells and crush them around your plants. the slugs can't won't cross them. My main problem is the silverwing caterpillars!

Good luck1

Latest posts