Planning my orchard??

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Huh, that makes me wonder. Maybe I will spare the tree for another season. It's interesting how similar the leaves are. Thank you for taking the time to photograph them. That was very kind of you. Where abouts do you live? What other nut trees do you have? I have a macadamia but that's it for the nuts. I think they would be a great addition though.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am in Ramona, about twenty miles East of San Diego at around 1500 feet.

My orchard currently consists of Avocado, Lemon, Lime, Orange, Pomegranate, Plum, Pluot, Pear, Asian Pear, Apple, Olive, Apricot, Almond and Peach trees.

My apples do the best, especially my Granny Smiths.

I am planning on adding more apples this January when the bare-root trees show up at the nursery. And anything else I succumb to at the nursery....

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey we are practically neighbors. I am in Vista. I don't have quite as many trees as you but I try to add a few more each year. I have 2 apple, plum, peach, apricot, grapefruit some kinda half dead orange. And in the last couple years I planted pear, nectarine, lime, lemon and 2 avocados.

The main reason I am writing is I wanted to show you some pictures I took. But for the life of me they are not working. the first one is a picture of a pit I found on the ground all dry. I tried to crack it open and it shot across my kitchen. I could not find it. Even with my glasses and 3 kids.

The second picture was a gooey wet pit that was still on the tree. I wiped it off and cracked it open. More carefully. Believe it or not this tiny little thing came out. It looks just like an almond. I took pictures but for some reason the up load is not working.

You bet you bottom that tomorrow I will be back under that tree looking for more pits. I can't believe it. That tree was covered in little green fruits. Uggg.. And I wanted to kill it. I guess the ultimate test will be to eat it.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Posting pictures....

I use photobucket, and upload my pictures from the digital camera to photobucket (free) and then it allows me to copy the link to any forum. Pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Vista, OMG you are in a growing paradise down there, surrounded by specialty nurseries that feature unique and exotic fruit trees like Cherimoyas and such.

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You know I usually use the upload in SS forum and BYC without a problem. For some reason It's telling me I have the wrong file type.

I told my husband the story of the tree when he got home. I even showed him the tiny almond. He can't believe it.

I live on just under 2 acres here. Started with 3 sold some to help build my house. The property was originally all old avocados with a couple other fruits mixed in. Unfortunately the granddaughter that was living here did not maintain the trees. We needed to install a new leach field so we had to wipe the hillside clean, I have been on the property for 9 years. I am now resolved to only plant things I can eat. Last year I added the artichokes and my husband built me some new raised beds. I have had quite a few failures but am learning more every year. I too have chickens. Two coops actually. I usually raise the pullets int the smaller and then move them into the larger. I am hoping to get goats but I am saving for a fence. Allways a work in progress.

Latest posts