Planting before a rain

Mr.potatohead

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi all. I would like to plant my hardened tomato plants and pepper plants in the ground. I live in New England and although tomorrow, Sunday, is to be a nice day, rain is forcasted for Monday and Tuesday, possibly heavy. Should I wait for the rain to pass or will I be alright? I have lettuce, cucumbers, zuchinis and some summer squash I would like to get in the ground as well. I just don't want to kill new, but somewhat hardened plants off with to much water before they can get established. Thanks

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
if you are worried about the plants just taking the beating for the rain you can cover them with buckets but be careful to not let it get to hot under them and cook your plants. Planting then before a rain isn't really a big deal though. Mine go from the green house to the garden / rain and have never had a problem. Just be sure it is warm enough there. avg 70-40.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Averages of 40-70! That's like summer! J/k, sumer nights are in the 50's.

My poor tomato saplings are not looking so hot this year. It usually rains here at least once if not all week long a bit every day, so I don't worry about putting them out if it's going to rain. I actually prefer it to rain after I plant things out because then the soil is moist and I don't have to water them. I also plant a few hours before dusk so the plants aren't stressed out about the sun and the roots at the same time.

I wish I had plants to put in the ground.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with the previous posts, if it's warm enough then they should be fine. That and as long as it's not a flooding rain and if it's not going to last more than a day or so. I say this because tomatoes, peppers, squash and cucumbers are very susceptible to powdery mildew.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmmm, at least two days of rain, possibly heavy at times...

I would wait myself. Tomatoes especially, will stop growing if shocked, and it takes them quite awhile to get going again. As well you risk tomato blight if they get too wet. As mentioned there is the risk of powdery mildew, on your squash.

They all would probably do fine, if you could place them under some mini A frame plastic greenhouses. I use 2"x2"'s . and cover them with the cheap plastic you can buy in rolls, simply staple on. I make them all about 4' long so they can be easily moved around. They come in handy for starting out other plants as well. I actually had a late crop of last years butter lettuce survive under them, through snows, and heavy frosts. I'm eating it now!:) Inexpensive, and simple to make, they are a great!

100_0335.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Or you can do something like bills shows, but with windowscreen instead of plastic. It's tremendously versatile - makes a great wind/shade screen for ANY new transplants, but you can also flop an old towel over top of it to keep heavy rain off the plants. (The towel will stay in place in all but the very gustiest thunderstorm, as long as it's already wet when you put it in place). Without danger of overheating.

If you are Very Lazy or in a hurry (I myself am often both :)) you can even use scrap removable screens from vinyl windows - you know, where the screen is in a flimsy frame. We have a bunch of old ones (that don't fit anything) that came with our house, but you can find them for free or real cheap along the curb on garbage day, or at Habitat for Humanity stores and garage sales and suchlike. You want the long narrow ones, made for basement or casement windows. Poke two small holes along one long side of each, and hinge them together with string or wire there. You will have to prop a brick or two on the bottom edge of each side or use tent-pegs to get them to stay in. But they work great.

Anyhow. I guess if it were me, I'd put the tomato plants in (provided I could protect them somewhat, as per everyone's suggestions) IF the bed they were going into was high, dry and not prone to flooding. But if there was a good chance they'd be sitting in a lake for a while, I would wait.

JMO,

Pat