Planting ginger root

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow it in a container also, indoors under grow lights, and in the greenhouse. Organic yellow ginger from Hawaii is a few cents under ten dollars a pound in one of the local produce markets. I paid seventy cents for these two small roots. The larger pot has a larger rhizome of regular ginger. Yellow ginger grows four to eight feet, so obviously I am not growing it to completion. I intend to break off and use some roots and replant some. Yellow ginger is invasive in Hawaii and the state has to remove and destroy it periodically from state parks. Go figure, ten dollars a pound in New York, garbage in Hawaii. :hu
jackb

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, after three months of waiting I was going to count it as a failure and was about to toss it out. When I emptied the pot I found the ginger had rooted and was much larger than when I planted it, so I placed it in a larger pot and back into the greenhouse it went. Soon after that it sprouted, so now it is growing an inch or so everyday. Apparently it takes some time to break dormancy.
jackb

Latest posts