Planting jasmine as a screen?

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think I'd like to plant some Confederate/Star Jasmine along part of my fenceline to screen the view from the new house our neighbors just built next door. It's only supposed to be hardy to zone 8B, and I'm in 7B...will it come back next spring? And what will it look like over the winter?

Are there any other suggestions for a drought-tolerant, thick-growing climber to provide a visual screen? It'll be far enough away from a water source that I need to be able to get it established quickly and then forget it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have jasmine growing up the back of my mom's shed. I bought it for my apartment patio about 2 years ago... MISTAKE... so I moved it to my mom's house. She doesn't want it anymore as its taken over the shed.

I've cut it back and I'm moving it to my house to grow up a trellis I am hanging off the west end of my front porch. I want to create a shady screen and a wind block so I can enjoy my front porch more, and my pots stop getting blown over.

I am in zone 7b.

At my mom's house... this stuff says green all winter!!! I'm not sure what kind it is, I know its yellow and purple mixed color flowers with a purple/red color vine and green leaves. It grows SUPER well.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How about passionflower?
It can become invasive, but from what I've heard from friends who have it, as long as you keep up with it, you're ok. I would think that since you are in a "cooler" zone, you might be able to keep it tamed.
It has really neat flowers and (like all invasives) is a quick grower.
Here's a link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1189/
Be sure to scroll down and read the feedback, that might help you make a more informed decision.

By the way, I live in Zone 8 and have confederate jasmine growing on my arbor - it just made it through its first winter. Stayed mostly green all winter and is coming back with a vengeance this spring. It's just getting ready to bloom now. Here's a picture I took of it this week. The pictures a little dark, but you can see all the new growth is light green. We bought two plants last summer, one for each side of the arbor, and they started off fairly small.
DSC02906.jpg

Oh, and I just thought about this: our children's museum has the most beautiful kiwi vine growing in its garden. You won't get fruit unless you have a male and a female pant, but the leaves are big and green and pretty.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I believe there is a self-fertile kiwi vine now but I don't remember the name of it. I saw it in a list a couple of years ago -- I was thinking of buying one to disguise a rather ugly workshop in my garden & wanted something productive & fast growing (I still haven't solved the problem) :barnie

Passion flowers are great & seem to stand up to our winters over here but I only can grow the common blue & cream one. I would love to try some of the others but I would need a large heated greenhouse.

Happy Gardening :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose