Planting my first corn rows!

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well... my daughter, husband & I dug out a 10X5 area approximately, and raked the soil, plus some added brooder bedding, into rows & planted 5 corn plants in each row, only 4 days ago.

They are ALREADY sprouting!! Isn't that crazy? The package says 10-14 days of course, as all do, but 4 days! THATS insane quick. Is something wrong with my corn? Is that even possible????

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No, but what is crazy is the next time it may take them 21 days and it is the exact same situation! Just smile and be glad someone was on your side this time :D

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have been having some nice warm weather?

That's really the key to germinating most seeds, warm, moist conditions.

Good luck!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here in the PNW, I planted my corn on July 1 and by July 7 it was 2-inches tall. It is now, 7 days later, nearly 6 inches tall, or more. The corn gods be smilin. :throw

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
WOW.. That's fantastic!
I wasn't really expecting anything from the planting, but suprise suprise! I'm so excited about the whole thing, I can't wait to double our efforts next year!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, once it gets warm, they go gangbusters from day one, usually. Congratulations! :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When did you plant them, and how is the soil; have you grown in it before in that spot? How's the weather...I would think good for corn, where you are?

Are they getting a lot of water? Have they had any compost or such?