Planting potatoes

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
grew up cutting up potatoes so each piece had at least one eye. On TV, I see people just plant the whole potato. So how do you do it? I no longer plant root crops as nematodes ruin them.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
These days, my wife opens a box of Ore-Ida, pour into a pan of boiling water with some butter, add some milk, pour in the potatoe flakes and wa la... mashed potatoes. When we want a baked potatoe , my wife goes to the grocery store to buy a 10 lb. bag. Too many fill rocks and a little fill dirt on top to fill in former wet land, then add moles , voles, gophers, field mice , grubs, pathogens, etc.. So, store baught it is.

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Chit them about 4-6 weeks before planting time, then cut them allowing for 2 eyes (sometimes 1), dusted with powdered sulfur & allow them to 'scab over'... then plant within a day or two.

We always have a spring good crop. The fall crop is never as good as the spring, but then again, they have a shorter period of time to develop...

Potatoes.jpg

RedPotatoes_052415.jpg

WhitePotatoes_052415.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've only grown potatoes for about 10 seasons.

Somewhere in there early on, I must have read that 4# of seed should provide for 100 square feet. So, the holes are dug and the seed is "cut to fit."

Chit ... I remember that we talked about the term, once. It suggests something that isn't quite there but imminent and with some noted value. I have just attempted to have the seed beginning growth and keep it out of a cold, indoor location if it doesn't show that growth. It's good to see the sprouts appear quickly above ground, altho that may mean frost damage.

Steve

Latest posts