Planting Raspberries, Blackberries, and Blueberries

AlphaSky

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi all,

this is my first post here. I am very glad I found this place, since I love to garden and would love to learn from the experience of other gardeners, and help others learn from my experiences.

I have a fairly large size garden, and this year I wanted to plant some berry plants like black, rasp, and blue berries. My question is, are there any types of berry plants that will produce fruits this year?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome.
My experience is from 2010 only. I planted blackberry and blueberries and had fruit the first year.
I don't know if this is typical or not.

THANX RICH

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greetings!!!

I planted blackberry, raspberry and blueberry bushes this winter and I've got baby blueberries on my bushes and a baby raspberry on my "Fall Gold" raspberry cane.

Nothing yet on the blackberries, but I don't think the wild ones are blooming yet, so it's probably not time.

I was not looking to get anything from any of them this year so all are pleasant surprises. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should see something on black and raspberries. The blueberry depend on the age of the bush. I planted little tiny sticks- and I won't hope for berries for another few years. I have seen mature bushes at the greenhouses with berries on them!
You mention planting these in "your garden". Not sure if you mean to have an area devoted to berry bushes- but remember those black and raspberries will spread like crazy. I had the brilliant idea to plant raspberries all around the outside of my garden- thank goodness a gardening friend advised against it. I would have spent my every waking moment pulling up berry bushes from my veggie garden!
Welcome! Welcome! Tell us more about your garden!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I believe raspberries grow fruit on new (this year's) canes, so if you get them in quickly you could see some fruit this year.

I'm not sure if it's all varieties, but I think blackberries fruit on last year's canes, so you'd need to buy an older plant to see fruit this year.

Blueberries need to be a few years old to get lots of fruit. We bought mature plants at a local nursery as well as transplanted some from the family farm in South Carolina, and should get some fruit this year (if the birds don't get it all!)

Here are the ones from the nursery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10803470@N00/5593465104/

I just planted a couple of blackberries along the driveway, where they cannot escape the asphalt on one side and the pasture fence on the other. :) The deer munched the tender new leaves and then that horrible storm a couple of days ago knocked over the fence wire cylinder I was using to protect one of them from the deer, so that plant is looking pretty banged up. :(

Good luck!

-Wendy

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My Natchez blackberries already have berries on them, and it is also the first year. Not a lot, but definitely berries. :)

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got 2 3-packs of blue berries from Costco, and 1 gave me fruit...OK, so it was only 5 berries, but I'm not complaining. I also bought 2 berries, black and marion, and both fruited as well, plus I was able to divide lots of other from one of them (gotta wait till they fruit again to figure which one) and they were still in the nursery container, so I need to plant them where I don't mind them being VERY productive and spread.

I am pretty sure my black raspberry fruited it's first year. I get many volunteers from that, too and I normaly leave those for the birds, but see the children out there every so often eating them.

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you plant a blackberry or raspberry that has some one year old wood from an old cane, it can grow new growth from that wood that will fruit. Ever-bearing raspberries will also fruit on new wood. Blackberries do not normally fruit on new wood, but i have seen it happen.

Latest posts