Planting strawberries

farmerbud

Sprout
Reaction score
Just wondering if its to late/early to plant them . Will frost hurt or kill them . They are started plant I got at the garden center.Thanks for help.

farmerbud

Sprout
Reaction score
Things are starting to warm up pretty good around here . But we can still get a few frost up until easter .

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I would wait until after the danger of frost. Once they're planted and established they should be fine year to year. I'm in Zone 6 and mulch mine through the winter just to be absolutly sure they'll make it.
I ordered mine through the mail last year and they got here too early so I pre-planted them in a small box planter inside then transfered about a month later and they did very well (I have to thin out at least 100 this spring) Good luck with them :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would get them in the ground and have a sheet at the ready, when frost is predicted. If you think you will have many more frosts, maybe plant them and cover them with straw for a few weeks...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I see you are in NC, honestly, you are right on the ball and your strawberries should be safe to go in now.

A sheet for one of those late frost nights might help... Looks like we're getting another frost on Thursday night.

bwilson7266

Sprout
Reaction score
I got my started strawberry plants from a nursery too and planted them in a container last Friday. The leaves are already opening up. I set them outside once the sun is up and I bring them in before night falls.

Got my potatoes growing in a sack too. They seem to be doing fine as well...I just bring them in before night falls.