Planting Tool

anthonyjame

Sprout
Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any tools or semi-automated tools to help plant seeds?

I am newer to gardening and I have been planting my 1/2 acre plot by hand every year. I don't want to invest in a tractor, planter etc.

Do they make anything that I could load and preset the seed distance to plant seeds instead of being on hands and knees?

Does this make sense?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome!! I am sure they do- it will soon be seed catalog time... If there is one out there, you will see it! You might want to try and make your own seed tape. This way you are not planting each seed, one at a time. This would work better for small seeds- not corn, etc. I have an antique corn planter that really does work- but I am not much of a gadget person...Good luck. Let us know how you solve your dilemma!

anthonyjame

Sprout
Reaction score
What would be good to use for planting corn? I am trying to run 20 - 60 foot rows that are 4ft wide. This year I planted 320 seeds of corn in a 20 ft row and got a great harvest. Just so bloody time consuming.

I thought about tape but what do you use for adhering them to the tape? And what about items like carrots or other really small seeds?

Thanks for your input.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anthonyjame, try www.enasco.com search for garden seed row planter. Planters have changeable seed plates for different types of seed. Sounds like you have a large garden to plant, A planter would surely save your back.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use an Earthway garden seeder, it works great if the soil is not too wet or too dry. It comes with different plates to do many styles of seed.
Around $100.00 at Lowes or Home Depot, also available on line.

THANX RICH

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's an interesting source, Collector. For teachers . . ! I guess there are lots of teachers with lots of different needs!

I will take some time and peruse eNASCO. (I like to use "peruse" whenever the opportunity arises ;).)

My idea was to look at Johnny's Seed Company.

Yes, one-half acre is a good sized garden. Something like that could almost be a full-time job, depending on what you want to grow.

Steve

anthonyjame

Sprout
Reaction score
Collector,

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. Did a google searcher for Garden Seeder and got a few different ones and examples. And prices.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you live in a rural area antique ones can often be found at junk shops or country auctions. Tip, if you are looking for a particular old time garden tool let your local auctioneers know. They will often call you if they have one coming up at auction soon.

anthonyjame

Sprout
Reaction score
So I can see there are a few out there. Does anyone have any of these?

Earthway - Single Row

Johnny - They have a 4 row and 6 row
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-460-seeders.aspx

This one with a fertilizer hopper: http://www.neseed.com/Seed_Planting..._p/62086.htm?gclid=COSkzIi93KQCFVNY2god8gtYJQ

I like the johnny seeders being 4 and 6 row but I would like to hear what people have to say.

Currently I do compact/sqaurefoot style gardening but in rows. Each row is 4 ft wide by 20 - 80 foot long.

Thanks

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've used the Earthway for 2 years and have had nothing but great service from it.
Some people have even made an attachment for their tractor and pull it behind for the longer rows they plant.

THANX RICH

Latest posts