Planting zones

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Where can I check to see what sone I am in? LOL and not the spaced out one.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are tons of resources online. They all may differ a little so it's just a general zone. A lot of it depends on your microclimate on your property, if you're in a low/high spot or other factors like that.

My range is like a zone 8a-9b usually.

Try here.

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
There are tons of resources online. They all may differ a little so it's just a general zone. A lot of it depends on your microclimate on your property, if you're in a low/high spot or other factors like that.

My range is like a zone 8a-9b usually.

Try here.
HI Thanks, that is where I came up with the 7 B, seems odd for Calif. I am a tiny stretch of color that travels up through the north.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Out West it is often more informative and accurate to go by the, what is it, Sunset Books zone system. The USDA zones do not as correctly reflect the various, often very local, variations in elevation etcetera.

Unfortunately the online link to the Sunset zones map appears to have been removed :( You will have to look at the book in your local library (or large chain-type bookstore, wink wink, or buy it at your local REAL bookstore) and I do not offhand know the title, author or ISBN. You can find it from Google or someone here may know.

Of course, knowing your Sunset zone number is mostly useful when you are comparing to sources of information that phrase things in terms of the Sunset zone system, not so much the USDA system ;) But info sources for the West generally do, so, there yougo.

Pat

Latest posts