Plants In the Mini Greenhouse / Coldframe

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am yet to get that shelf in there I want, though I have the plexiglass sheet to make it already. That will come!

My neighbor is already asking if there is room for his cuttings to try to force them to root. Maybe after I move some of the tomatoes and Gerber Daisies out.

So everyone look happy!?

14084_inside_coldframe1.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Everyone looks happy to me! I have recently acquired some free windows and will be making a cold frame also!
Suggestions! Make the door on the side for allowing it open on nicer days, it also allows for the breeze if you want, or turn it if you don't. We also put finials on for legs to raise it up, it always for easy movement, and when water leaks in the top from heavy rains (not a lot) it allows the water to not sit in the bottom and flow back out.

Just things we noticed and I was happy with.

Now, should I do any special hardening off when the plants are ready to be transplanted? :/ Or straight out the greenhouse and into the ground is fine!? :tools

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The top of my cold frames open up - so when it is time to transplant, they are already "hardened off". It looks like you might need to bring the seedlings out for a couple days, just to make sure. They look happy and healthy!!

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That looks great! So excitting! I love seeing all the little plants sprout out and grow so big and tall from just a tiny little seedling :)

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looking great vfem. I am amazed that you still need it. I am in full warm spring season. Since I am new to the south I am still trying to figure out the zones. I though you would be closer to me but maybe not.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Looking great vfem. I am amazed that you still need it. I am in full warm spring season. Since I am new to the south I am still trying to figure out the zones. I though you would be closer to me but maybe not.
I'm closer, but being in Zone 7b I am not safe until April 15th. With that said, I DO have somethings planting already out in pots and stuff. Mostly herbs, and some ferns and grasses. My cold weather plants are doing great too.... but I have some things that won't do so great on the few nights we are in the 40's still. Even though it was 84 yesterday, it got down to 47 last night. I'm using the frame to keep heat on my tomatoes and peppers mainly.

I refuse to put any warm season items into the ground until April 15th. I didn't wait last year, and I lost about 6 tomato plants... but I did have a great many as a back up just in case.

You just can't trust mother nature!!! ;)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep, you got that right you can't always trust mother nature. She has her mood swings every now and then. Just have to plan ahead and be confident that what you intend to do will be ok :D .

Latest posts