Plants Toxic To Chickens

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, I am surprised my chooks are still alive then. I know they have eaten at least a few mentioned. :rolleyes:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My chickens have always gotten alfalfa to scratch around in and love the leaves. It makes their egg yolks so orange.
I think I'll just not tell them I've been "poisoning" them!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We give ours weeds all the time, they love them. There are some they won't eat, maybe they know which ones are bad.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used to go-on-and-on over "poultryhelp." Made jokes about the source for one of their lists (Reptile Keeper's Handbook) - Even complained about the outfit having been out of the chicken business for years and years.

These days, I am a little more mellow about the website but I wish they'd just put the link on their site and let us find and evaluate the information for ourselves! Here is what their source for this list, the University of Illinois, actually says about alfalfa, for example: "Alfalfa is an excellent forage crop when harvested and stored properly. However, the plant can cause 'hepatogenous photosensitivity syndrome' if water-damaged (Monlux AW . J Am Vet Med Assoc, Vol. 142, 9, p. 989-994, 1963)."

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Veterinary Medicine Library

There are better sites for toxic forage plants but filtering thru "poultryhelp" would make just about any of them useless.

. . . just my grouchy, late-winter opinion :rolleyes:.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, hey Steve, don't be grumpy! Soon the sun will be shining, the days will be long, the dirt will be dirty again, we'll all be so busy we won't remember what it's like to have so much time to think about this stuff! :coolsun
And I would never feed a chicken hay that I wouldn't give to my favorite horse.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My chickens used to range at will over 40 acres. Some of the plants that grew wild there were definitely poisonous (such as datura and careless weed) but they just didn't eat them. Perhaps if they were the only greens available they would have been tempted.