Plastic horizontal shed as a compost container?

kaycei

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My husband and I are doing a compost for our first time. He would like to get a large plastic horizontal shed (about 4 ft long, 3 ft deep, and 2 ft wide) that opens on top and in front, and use it as a compost bin. (See Rubbermaid version below)

3747_sm.jpg

We like this concept because it is covered and will keep out the critters. However, I'm concerned about the lack of aeration (his solution is to drill large holes into it).

Will something like this work for our compost?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn't. You drill holes, critters will get in :p (Holes too small for critters will be insufficient for aeration, unless you get in there and turn the pile every day or two, which you do NOT wanna have to do, believe me, specially not in *that*)

It would be easier and cheaper to build something out of wood and hardwarecloth. And that way you could make it so it is as easy as possible for you to work with, as opposed to the (not cheap!) plastic thing that you will be swearing at for years to come.

JMHO, good luck,

Pat

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A nice box from 2x4's and hardware cloth or even just a "pile" with some kind of screen around it will be way easier and more efficient .