Plastic mulch cloths

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have sheets of black plastic laid under the volcanic rock in our front yard. It seems to be pretty much under all the plants-how do I assure that the compsot/fertilizer is getting to the plant? WIll it seep throught the plastic?I'd rather not tear up the entire yard...what should I do?:idunno

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
We have sheets of black plastic laid under the volcanic rock in our front yard. It seems to be pretty much under all the plants-how do I assure that the compsot/fertilizer is getting to the plant? WIll it seep throught the plastic?I'd rather not tear up the entire yard...what should I do?:idunno
Water and soluble fertilizer move poorly, but "somewhat", through sheets of perforated plastic. (I don't know whether your plastic was the pricier perforated stuff or the plain solid stuff when it was originally laid, but I would expect that after some years of volcanic rock mulch it is probably perforated to some reasonable extent *now* :p) I know the perforated plastic mulch they sell CLAIMS to let water etc through, but in reality that is not very true unless you have truly continuous and tight contact between the soil and the plastic, which is not generally the case.

Compost will not move through the plastic (even if it is perforated) at ALL.

If you want to make sure water and fertilizer are easily getting to plants (I am assuming you mean, like, perennials or shrubs or trees, type thing?) the best plan would be to either take back enough of the mulch and rock to install a drip-irrigation line underneath the mulch (then put mulch and rock back over it); or remove the plastic from underneath the rock right around the plants (so now it's just the rocks on top of the ground), and hand-water or hand-fertilize there. A "plan B" solution might be to take a piece of rebar or pointy digging bar or something similar, and wham a bunch of holes in the plastic all over the place right near the plant, so the water flows thru the plastic more rapidly when applied from on top.

If you want the plants to be getting compost, there is really no two ways about it, you need to peel back the rocks and plastic from around the plants so you can put the compost on the actual soil. Then it is up to you whether to replace the rocks *and* plastic, or just the rocks -- which is best will depend on the situation.

OTOH if the plants are seeming healthy and happy at the moment, there may not be any pressing need to add compost anyhow.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to physically move the plant tarps (or fabric) out of the way of my plants. I then score the ground around the plant and above the root system to add the fertlizers (fresh compost) in the spring and again late summer.

I started removing the barrier this winter completely as most the weeds are now controlled enough I think I can handle them. Besides the weeds that got through torn through the fabric anyways.

Just try pulling it back some when you need to feed your plants. You can also poke more holes using a knife or something to let more water through, which is important. :D

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The spot i am concerned about is around the infamous Project Rose Save. I think we'll have to shovel the rocks off,pull back the stuff (or cut it away) and then replace the rocks. This project is getting bigger by the day..:th

Oh well!;)

Latest posts