Please advise on Corn!!!!

ccrecelius

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My sweet corn is tassling. It is Sunglow. Some of it is tassling at one foot. My daughter is 47". Here is a picture. Have I done something wrong?

2008_0708corn0002.jpg

approx. 1 foot high

2008_0708corn0004.jpg

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Some varieties only grow to about 4-5 feet anyway.

Our corn usually starts tasseling about 2 feet tall then shoots up over the next several weeks as the silks appear. This sometimes also happens with later season planted corn. I don't exactly know why.

I would give it some time and see what happens. The corn stalks look healthy and I think that they should be fine. You've managed to grow a lovely daughter, I'm sure corn shouldn't be that much harder! :p

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Now is time to throw the nitrogen to it which will add a little size. But like Oakland said that might just be the type of corn you have.

Cute Kid!!

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have the same variety growing...the package says it ' yields two 7" ears off of each 4 foot plant'

Yours look just fine....nice little cutie you sprouted there too :)

ccrecelius

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you all very much! My daughters are growing this garden with my ex-husband. He asked me to go look at their corn. He said that he was going to mow it over because there was something wrong with it. I told him that I would take a picture of it and see if anyone knew what was going on. I will tell him that all looks good! I am an impatient person, and he makes me look patient. I am tickled that he is taking so much time doing this with the girls. My oldest (17) is learning so much! And she loves it:) The youngest (pictured) helps some with watering, but is usually building small habitats on the edge of the woods where animals might "want to stop and take a nap", that's what she tells me anyway. The rest of their garden is doing wonderful. Mine is much smaller. And my daughters don't have an interest in it! I should have told them it was theirs!!!!!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
even if it all doesnt produce, like you said, they are learning from it and probably very proud they grew it. I learned nearly everything I know about growing crops from having a garden when we were young and thru osmosis from living on a farm most of my life. Kids love to grow things and I agree its probably the variety, it can grow quite a bit yet as its just starting to tassel.

ccrecelius

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I totally agree! My seven year old found some left-over seeds and planted them various places around my yard. Some of them are growing and she checks them everyday!:)

Latest posts