Please help me ID this... *NEW PHOTOS* DUW

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well,

I got in one of my picture taking moods today and went outside to see what I could find. We've lived here for nearly three years and I see this "shrubby bush" thing all the time (Although looking at it, it could be a small tree that I just fail to prune :p )... this is the first time I've noticed the fruit on it though. Some of the leaves have sharp bumps every little bit down the sides and the fruit reminds me of little cherries. Can anyone tell me what this is, and if they're edible. I dont like wasting anything that I can eat! :lol:

Thank You.

RandomPics8-27-10019.jpg

RandomPics8-27-10020.jpg

Well, I sacraficed one of the little things and took some new pics. I hope these help!

FunkyFruit001.jpg

FunkyFruit002.jpg

FunkyFruit003.jpg

FunkyFruit004.jpg

FunkyFruit005.jpg

They almost remind me of a little yellow fruit we used to eat all the time off of a tree at my aunt's house, but I dont remember what they were.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I never would have thought of that, haha. I dont even remember seeing it bloom, and I park my car next to it all the time!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first thought was quince but the fruit doesn't look right. I think the leaf end is a little too rounded to be a plum. The fruit does not look quite right either. I'm not totally convinced on crab apple either. The leaf looks a little thick and the stem on the fruit doesn't look quite right. Pretty sure it is not a persimmon. If I had to go with something I'd go with crab apple but I am not convinced. Maybe a variety I am not familiar with.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sparkles, my dad suggested a plum as well.

Ridge, you and I have the same idea on this thing, lol.

I picked one and cut it open and there is a huge pit in it. There was very little flesh on it but the flesh is really juicy and smells like a cherry, to me. The skin slipped right off after I split it too. The flesh is a really pale creamy yellow. Im uploading some photos right now.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It really looks like a plum from the outside, especially given the cleft. Perhaps it is a wild plum (or a tree that came back from it's wild rootstock) and the pit is larger than the flesh...

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
journey11 said:
It really looks like a plum from the outside, especially given the cleft. Perhaps it is a wild plum (or a tree that came back from it's wild rootstock) and the pit is larger than the flesh...
Journey, it does look like a really small plum. Im used to our large domestic ones I guess! :lol:

vfem, that does describe them pretty well! Im just worried about eating one, I dont wanna croak at the age of 20! lol

Latest posts