Please help me identify this weed...

fspanther

Sprout
Reaction score
We bought this house recently and the yard was severely neglected. This weed is taking over both front
IMG_2345.JPG
IMG_2347.JPG
IMG_2348.JPG
and back.. Please help me identify it and advise on some kind of control..THX!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where are you? That would help identify. Is that hard-pack sandy soil? Is there a smell to the plant?

fspanther

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank You! No smell..I am in Fort Stockton , TX.. Soil is terrible...sandy..almost like caliche...i am trying to make improvements to the soil..I know it is a big part of the problem. But THIS particular weed is taking over, and choking out the little bermuda and fescue I have going..

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fspanther, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined. Is that spot of yellow one of its flowers? Can you get a close-up of the flower? Do you know what the seeds look like? How tall does it grow?

@baymule Fort Stockton is a bit west of you but I can't think of anyone closer. And you can certainly commiserate on sand even if you can't identify that weed. Besides, you are fun to pick on.

fspanther

Sprout
Reaction score
yep...its a mess....there hasn't been any flowering at all of this..in the front or back..it grows low (about an inch or two off the ground) and spreads like crazy... we're(fort stockton) known for oil, natural gas, and caliche..

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That weed is called Poor Joe. My sheep love it, maybe you need sheep? :lol: It dies back in the heat of summer. I have sandy soil too. I call it the beach without the ocean.

Latest posts