Please Help My Lilac!

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I need some help with a Lilac bush of mine. We planted this small shrub about 10 years ago, having purchased it at a nursery. It was just a stick back then. I did not prepare the hole with any fertilizers or any new dirt, just dug a hole and put the plant in.

Well, over the years the poor thing has been stripped down by wandering Elk and Deer, (it is now protected), it has not grown tall but has grown out into a huge round thing. LOL It stands about 4 foot tall and 3 foot across.

But the thing I am concerned with is that each spring after it leafs out, it does grow flower buds. But they never flower! Usually they just shrivel up and die off. I make sure to water the bush well during dry spells once a week, but usually come rainy season it gets water from the skies. Lilacs do grow well around here as there are lots of them growing in town and they are huge! Each year the town just reeks of Lilac flowers!

So do I need to fertilize this plant? If so when? And with what? Someone needs to help me here, I have been waiting so many years to smell these heavenly fragrant flowers and I never get to do so!! :barnie

Thanks so much for any tips you can give me and my plant! :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
have you checked around the plant to be sure there are no grubs chewing on the roots? how much sun does it get and is there any competition from weeds or maybe trees?

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I don't see any grubs along the base anywhere or damage and nothing is chewing on the leaves. I do have it mulched to keep the moisture in. It gets sun from morning to late afternoon where it is then in the shade. It is planted between 2 trees which are at least 15 feet away. I keep it weeded and all grass from growing around it.

The plant itself looks really healthy and green! It leafs out nicely and grows quite a bit each year. But it just won't flower!

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No, no fertilizer at all. The grass grows as it grows and other than cutting it, we don't fertilize or weed it.

Maybe my soil has too much nitrogen in it? I have never tested it.

TwoCrows

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Please tell me more! Would you see it on the leaves? Are their any signs I should look for? And is there a cure?!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure but, that is all I can figure that would cause shriveling of buds. Look closely to check for a small bug. You didn't add good soil at planting, but was it really terrible soil like sand or clay. Could it be too wet from poor drainage? My mind still goes to pest or blight. A local place that sells them should know local afflictions.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where are you? We had gypsy moths here last year in the spring. they were barely visible except for shriveling on the tips of blueberry bushes

Latest posts