Plum jam/jelly recipes?

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to attempt to make jam or jelly (I don't really care which), for the first time. We just picked a ton of really great plums and I LOVE plum jam, so I really want to try it. Does anyone have a recipe they really like? Are there any tips about jam/jelly making you could give to a newbie like me? Thanks for any help!

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
I am going to attempt to make jam or jelly (I don't really care which), for the first time. We just picked a ton of really great plums and I LOVE plum jam, so I really want to try it. Does anyone have a recipe they really like? Are there any tips about jam/jelly making you could give to a newbie like me? Thanks for any help!
Here is my favorite site for making jams and jellies. http://www.pickyourown.org/jam.htm

Enjoy!
Jo Ann, another homeschooling mom :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
. . . We just picked a ton of really great plums . . .
What kind of plums, PotterWatch?

I'm sure that makes a difference even tho' I'm no expert on preserving fruit.

Dad has a French Petite plum tree which replaced a French Petite plum that I planted in his yard, about 35 years ago. He liked the first one so much, when borers attacked it - he replaced it with another of the same variety. The replacement is now taller than the first ever grew, and loaded with fruit most years.

Nothing but boiling down has to be done with French Petites. They are obviously full of pectin AND sugar!

Steve

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no idea what kind they are. Here is what they look like:

DSCF0004c.jpg

They are somewhat smaller than a golf ball. The inside of the fruit is uniform in color and is the same dark, reddish-purple as the outside. They are firm and tart, but with a good sweetness as well. There were no tags on the tree other than a post that marks it as a plum.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Potterwatch :frow.

I'll just say that they don't look like French Petites.

Here's a link to an orchard not all that far from where I live. They have a fairly good photo of a Petite - color is about the same.

Now, enuf of this "what kind is it" instead of "what can be done with it" - can't be of any help to you there. Gotta a good recipe for both pear butter and apple butter if you need something a long those lines later . . . :rolleyes:

Steve

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Gotta a good recipe for both pear butter and apple butter if you need something a long those lines later . . . :rolleyes:

Steve
I'm sure I will be in need of recipes like that. The pear and apple trees aren't ripe yet (same place we picked the plums), but they will be before too long and I expect to get a bumper crop!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
a friend of mine had Italian plums and she used to stand at the stove and cook them down over low like all day ..she some how (and I have never been able to get it right) came out with a wonderful sort of runny jam that the plums were still in chunks and it had a deep purple very thick syrup ..everytime I try mine comes out too "cooked" tasting almost like it caramelized

any ideas anyone? hope it is ok I share this quest?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Italian plums, like the French petite plums, are prune plums. They are on their way to becoming prunes . . .

Perhaps, allowing them to begin drying helps the cooking down process.

It has been a long while since I participated in the jam making. That was Mom's province. I am usually able to eat quite a number of them fresh :p.

Steve

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you don't mind a jam using commercial pectin, the recipe insert in the Certo or Bernardin pectin crystals (NOT liquid pectin) boxes work really well for plum jam.

Pat

Latest posts