Plums??

Sindoora

Sprout
Reaction score
Well I wanted a plum tree. I got tons of plums from a friend. How do I plant them? IS there a special method? Is there an easy way(like without grafting?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, Sindoora! :)

Did you get plum trees, in pots? If so, what size are they? :)

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We purchase ours in 5 gallon containers, I thought about pollination so I planted three, Santa Rosa, Mariposa and a beauty, they were all probally two years old, 4 feet or taller and some have fruit already.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're thinking of planting them from seed?

If your friend planted their tree from seed then you should be okay. If not and the tree is a hybrid then you are better off purchasing a tree from a local nursery or online. The reason being is that the fruit you get (if any) will not be true to the fruit that you are enjoying right now. Also, since most trees are grafted onto dwarf rootstock the tree you plant from seed may grow and grow every year and get much bigger than you'd want. Heavy pruning would be required to keep it at a manageable height.

If you do want to plant by seed you need to crack the seeds a bit and soak them in water overnight then plant about 4 inches deep. This should work to sprout the seedling. Let it grow in a container for the first year and then transplant when it goes dormant for the season. You should have fruit within 3-4 years.

Latest posts